Local Taco hits South Limestone scene

By Taylor Riley

Two Keys, Tin Roof and Pazzos have gained a new neighbor on the student-infused block of South Limestone.

The Local Taco, which opened in September, is a sit-down restaurant complete with a bar.  One year ago, owner Matt Burton’s family began reconstructing the building that was originally built in 1856, and had formally been a Pita Pit. The restaurant has not put out any ads and word of mouth has been the main form of marketing for the business thus far.

The building was not the only thing Burton wanted to make his own. The restaurant uses only local Kentucky Proud produce for their ingredients.

“There is nothing but pizza (on South Limestone), but we are very different,”manager Phillip Martin said. “We are as close to homemade as you can get.”

Everything on the menu at the “tacoria,” from the tacos and enchiladas, to the margaritas made from scratch for customers that were designed by an executive chef.

“It is a healthy alternative,” Burton said. “The food is fast and versatile. There are fewer calories per order (than other restaurants), and we also use portion control.”

Inside, a bar serves cocktails, domestic and import beers, and big-screen TVs have recently been added to make the restaurant “game day ready.” The restaurant also has a backroom that is party-ready for charitable organizations and social functions.

The Local Taco is open Mon through Thurs 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Fri through Sat 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. and on Sun 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and now accepts UK Plus Account.