Lexington Philharmonic celebrates 50 years

By Lauren Conrad

The Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra will celebrate their opening night with internationally known violinist Midori at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Singletary Center for the Arts.

UK HealthCare is presenting Friday’s opening night celebration in an ongoing partnership with the Lexington Philharmonic.

“We received a grant from Dr. Ronald Saykaly and his wife Teresa Garbulinska, an international pianist in her own right,” said Jackie Hamilton, director of arts and healthcare at UK HealthCare. “Dr. Saykaly wanted to create an annual concert event, so that is how the partnership with the Lexington Philharmonic came about.”

The partnership between the philharmonic and UK HealthCare “has been developing over the last several years,” said Kelly Whelan, Lexington Philharmonic general manager.

“When the opportunity for a concert series came up we were thrilled that they wanted to partner with us in this way,” she said.

This also marks the Lexington Philharmonic’s 50th Anniversary as central Kentucky’s leading music major.

In addition to having special guest Midori play on opening night, the philharmonic will be celebrating with a Tiffany & Co. mystery “Blue Box” event that gives participants a chance to win a piece of Tiffany & Co. jewelry during intermission with the purchase of a mystery blue box.

Opening night will be held at the Singletary Center, which has become a home base venue for the philharmonic.

“We have held most concerts there for a while now and wanted to continue our partnership with them,” said Paige Smith, marketing and communications co-coordinator for the Lexington Philharmonic. “The Singletary Center is a good location and in close proximity to different opportunities throughout the community.”

Season subscriptions as well as single tickets are still available for opening night and can be purchased on the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra’s website. A mystery “Blue Box” can also be purchased through the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra.