Cool Cats hope to continue win streak

By Patrick Thompson

Coming off two significant wins against Ohio University last weekend, the UK hockey players feel ready for their next opponent, the University of Akron Zips.

“The Ohio game was definitely a big confidence booster coming out of the weekend, and we will have momentum going into this weekend,” said senior forward Michael Getz.

The games against Ohio also helped the new players to become accustomed to the speed and physicality of collegiate hockey. “Ohio was a physical team, and was a good experience for the new guys to get used to the caliber of teams they will be playing,” said Getz.

Preparing for this weekend was nothing out of the ordinary. The Cool Cats went through a solid week of practice, working primarily on the power play and penalty kill.

“The power play got better in the second game against Ohio, but still needs work,” senior captain Billy Glass said.

Besides working on the power play, the team also practiced defensive zone breakouts and transitioning on offense. Getz said the breakout is slightly new and helps to clear the defensive zone quicker, as well as create faster outs and odd man rushes.

Akron is another challenge along the road to nationals, but Glass and his teammates are confident. “We’re not going to do anything different against Akron,” he said. “We’re just going to go out and play our game.”

UK will host the Zips at the Lexington Ice Center Friday, Sept. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 1 at midnight.