Black Student Union hosts annual Fall Fest

By Elyse Rectenwald

More than 20 minority organizations will be present Thursday at the Black Student Union’s annual Fall Fest, offering students  food, fun and entertainment.

Fall Fest will feature performances by the National Panhellenic Council Greeks, or the “Divine 9,” and UK’s Black Voices Gospel Choir, said Teresse Hawkins, spokeswoman for BSU.

The Divine 9 is collectively made up of nine historically black Greek organizations, all of which belong to NPHC. Typically, the Divine 9 step, a rhythmic pattern of clapping,  stomping and stroll — which involves dancing in a line while walking and doing hand movements that represent themes in their specific organizations — at Fall Fest every year, Hawkins said.

“Fall Fest is one of the most anticipated events put on by the Black Student Union,” Hawkins said

Hawkins said her favorite part of Fall Fest is the performances by the Greeks and Black Voices because “students show their passion for their organizations as well as their talent.”

BSU President Unique Young said the umbrella organization hosts Fall Fest every year to create awareness about the presence of the minority groups on campus.

“We want everyone to beaware of the many opportunities that are offered to them on campus,” Young said. “We do this because there are so many organizations out there that no one knows about, or has even heard of.”

Lexington deejay DJ Warren Peace will provide music for the event. Food and refreshments will be served.

Students interested in learning more about Black Student Union events and the minority organizations that fall under its umbrella can find in the Center for Student Involvement or the Martin Luther King Cultural Center, both in the Student Center.

Students interested in becoming a member can contact Unique Young at [email protected] to learn more or attend BSU meetings every other Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in Student Center Room 230.