Israeli partnership aims to increase opportunities

By Danielle Kaye

In an attempt to advance the international efforts for the university, UK President Eli Capilouto and University of Haifa Provost David Faraggi came together to sign a memorandum of understanding.

The partnership aims to perpetuate the completion of goals that both universities share through the creation of a study abroad program at the University of Haifa in Israel.

These goals include welcoming international students into the community and the collaboration of students and faculty in the pursuit of strengthening global connections.

“The University of Kentucky is excited about the opportunity to partner with the University of Haifa,” said UK President Eli Capilouto in a news release.

“With the phenomenal advances in technology and industry, strategic collaborations between postsecondary institutions play an important role in a growing global economy.”

The partnership came about when UK faculty went to Haifa this summer to discuss the expansion of the public health partnership through the exchange of faculty.

While in Haifa, faculty discussed what other programs Haifa could offer to students that would be of interest for students and vice versa, said Susan Carvalho, the associate provost for International Programs.

“When we visited with the University of Haifa we found that they have taken on a mission of development of internationalism in their university,” said Dr. Douglas Scutchfield, professor of health services, research and policy. “Because we were also trying to increase our international educational activities, it was a good match.”

The partnership with University of Haifa is not the only opportunity that UK students have to travel abroad to Israel.

“We have a second major partnership in Israel, with Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in southern Israel,” Carvalho said. “But this is only a small part of UK’s international collaborations – we have about 180 partner universities across the globe. We try to establish partnerships that relate to disciplines or regions that dovetail with our students’ majors and intended careers.”

Currently, University of Haifa plans to offer 20 master’s programs in English within five years, and 40 programs in English within 10 years, Carvalho said.