SG leaders lauded for their transparency

By Amelia Orwick

UK Student Government unanimously passed its budget on Aug. 31 for the 2011-12 school year.

SG will continue to fund student services such as Tally Cats and Cats Cruiser. However, the budget contains many alterations from last year.

One of the most notable changes is a cut of more than $25,000 worth of presidential discretionary funding.

SG President Micah Fielden said he cut the fund to “allow the senate as much oversight of where the money is going” as possible.

“Instead of giving me the power of putting it in places, it gives senators a chance,” he said.

Though he decreased the fund, Fielden said the it still has $20,000 for expenses that come up in the year that aren’t originally budgeted. He said he didn’t want to disguise anything.

“This is great because it shows that (Fielden) is being more transparent by wanting the students to know what he is spending his money on,” said Eli Edwards, a College of Education senator.

Senators were pleased with how efficiently the process was carried out, especially when compared to years past.

“Last year the budget process did not run smoothly at all,” Edwards said, “which led to a two-and-a-half-hour long meeting filled with debate and amendments to the budget, which were either defeated or vetoed.”

Jordan Plamp, a College of Business senator, agreed that the efforts of Fielden and Vice President Nikki Hurt have paid off.

“Micah and Nikki put forth a lot of work to be transparent. Students should know that, as Student Government, we are all looking out for their money and making sure it is used correctly,” Plamp said.

Fielden created and presented the budget to the Senate at the Senate retreat, Edwards said. Fielden took senators’ comments into consideration, presented the final budget and it was passed at the Aug. 31 meeting, he said.

Fielden also said executive salaries were decreased from last year.

“We felt they were a little high,” he said, and that they weren’t an appropriate reimbursment for their time. The executves include the chief of staff, deputy chief of staff and the Wildcat Interest Group coordinator.

The positive dynamic among the Senate and administrators has left many hopeful for a successful school year.

“I’m very happy with the budget and how smoothly this administration is working with each other,” Plamp said.

To request a copy of the budget, email SG adviser Todd Cox at [email protected].