Men’s soccer falls to USC and Stanford

By Ryan Brown

Over the weekend the Cats traveled to California for two games against Stanford and Cal. The Cats played well but were not able to clinch a win in either game.

The first game on Friday was at Stanford and the Cats took a 1-0 lead through a Charlie Pettys’ goal that was assisted by the in-form Matt Lodge.

Pettys, the California native, enjoyed his homecoming by getting to play in front of family and friends.

“It was great being back, the weather was perfect and I got to play in front of my parents which doesn’t happen all that often because I’m so far away,” Pettys said. Speaking about the goal he said, “the second I hit it I knew it was in and it was in front of my parents so it was great.”

Stanford soon fired back with three unanswered goals to lead UK 3-1. UK was held to its lowest shot total of the season and it was the first time an opponent had taken more shots than the Cats all season.

Game two of the tour was at the University of California where the Cats would face the no. 13 Golden Bears. The first half ended in a 0-0 draw but the action would soon pick up as Tyler Riggs and Sam Brooks would fire two into the back of the net.

They were assisted by Lodge and Pettys respectively to give the Cats a 2-1 lead but the hosts soon fired back with 2 more goals to beat UK 3-2. Pettys spoke well of the team saying “we played well in both games, we just need to keep our focus and win the one on one battles across the field.” He was asked if on another day the Cats could walk away with two wins Pettys replied “definitely.”

Marco Bordon and Charlie Pettys were both named to the Cal Legacy Classic All- Tournament team after impressive displays across the weekend. Bordon played well defensively with a surging run forward while Pettys logged a goal and team high four assists.

Matt Lodge and Tyler Riggs are tied for the team lead in goals at five with Lodge notching three assists and Riggs with two. The Cats enter the Gamecock Classic this weekend against Brown and High Point ranked 29th in the nation.