Revamped Hoops squad has big tournament goals

By Les Johns

The UK women’s basketball team believes they have the key components in place to have a successful year and a deep NCAA Tournament run.

Head coach Matthew Mitchell secured his second consecutive top-10 recruiting class and also has a highly regarded transfer from national powerhouse UConn in Samarie Walker, who will be eligible to play after the fall semester.

Senior point guard Amber Smith will return to the hardwood this year after missing all of last year with an ACL injury.

Missing from last year’s team will be departed seniors Carly Morrow and Victoria Dunlap. Dunlap, who was SEC Player of the Year in 2010, averaged 17 points and 8.7 rebounds per game last year.

Replacing Dunlap’s production will likely be the biggest question mark going into the new season.

“I don’t think one individual can fill Vic’s role,” Smith said.

“We will have to focus on being a team-first attitude group,” Mitchell said.

Despite the loss of Dunlap, Mitchell is excited about the depth and quality of the new roster.

“We feel like we have — from top to bottom — probably the most talent we’ve had in my five years here at Kentucky,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell has reason to be optimistic. ESPN has rated the UK Hoops incoming class, comprised of Azia Bishop, Bria Goss and Bra’Shey Ali, the 10th best in the nation.

Bishop, a 6-foot-3 forward-center from Start High School in Toledo, Ohio, was ranked in the ESPN HoopGurlz Top 100 recruits and was the No. 3-ranked player at her position.

Goss, a 5-foot-10 guard from Indianapolis, is happy with her decision to come to UK.

“I feel like I couldn’t play anywhere else but here,” Goss said.

“She works tremendously hard,” Smith said about Goss. “She fits in this program perfectly.”

The last addition to the freshman class was Ali, a 6-foot forward from Plainfield, N.J., who committed to UK in mid-August.

“She is a very athletic wing/post combo player that fits what we like to do,” Mitchell said. “She is very fast, athletic, quick and explosive.”

Walker, the transfer from UConn, will be eligible to play in the spring. Walker is a 6-foot-1 forward-center from West Carrollton, Ohio.

In explaining how she fits into the program, Samarie said, “I can play defense and I can run.”

Smith was a big part of UK Hoops’ NCAA Elite Eight run in 2009, averaging 9.2 points and 4.4 assists per game.

“I am looking forward to the first game of the season,” Smith said. “I will be so excited just to walk out of that tunnel.”

Mitchell relishes the thought of so much talent at his disposal at one time.

“That is great for us,” Mitchell said. “The style of play that we like to employ really benefits from having depth.”

Although the Cats have achieved much in the last few years, including back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament, Smith has some specific goals in mind for her final year.

“We’re not satisfied to come in second in the SEC,” Smith said. “Our goal is to win the SEC Championship.”