UK ranks in college guidebook

By Amelia Orwick

UK ranked in multiple categories in this year’s edition of Princeton Review’s College Ranking Guidebook.

Rankings are based on surveys taken by thousands of students on campuses across the country. Surveys include more than 80 questions covering a wide array of subjects.

UK students and staff said they are proud to be named one of this year’s best southeastern colleges.

“I feel privileged to have the opportunity to attend a university that gets national recognition,” Annie Shearn, a sophomore secondary education major, said.

UK was ranked number 13 among the nation’s “jock schools.”

“I think it’s awesome that the students here have different interests, and not everyone is focused solely on academics,” Shearn said.

UK professors were ranked number 18 for their lack of accessibility, and this ranking doesn’t surprise some of the professors who have worked at UK for an extended period.

“I’ve noticed that a lot of students feel like they can’t approach professors,” said Marta Clepper, a professor within the College of Arts and Sciences. “I’m not sure if professors aren’t making themselves available, or if students aren’t taking advantage of them.”

UK was ranked 19 on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender unfriendly list.

Overall, UK spokesman Jay Blanton said the university is taking steps in the right direction.

“UK has demonstrated substantive improvement in recent years,” Blanton said. “We must continue to improve; our work and our efforts are never complete.”