Let the Recruiting Begin

July 6 marks the start of a month of nearly non-stop recruiting, and for the Cats, the push to make progress in assembling the Class of 2012.

From July 6 through July 15, it’s an “Evaluation Period,” in which coaches can attend prospects games and workouts but can have no official contact. Coaches are allowed to sit in the stands and watch the players — wearing school colors and logos they hope will be easily visible — but cannot talk to them. It’s simply a chance to be seen by the player.

From July 16 through July 21, a “Dead Period” is in effect, in which nothing can occur in person between a prospect and a school. Limited phone calls are available.

From July 22 through July 31, it’s another Evaluation Period.

Over this timespan, we’ll be able to get a better sense of who UK covets the most — and who is reciprocating the feelings.

For UK, it’s an important month in terms of setting up the future. As it stands right now, UK is in contention for nearly every elite recruit but doesn’t have a strong lead on any of them. That UK doesn’t have anybody except for Ryan Harrow is slightly concerning, but that might be because it’s juxtaposed with how the Class of 2011 shaped up, when Marquis Teague and Michael Gilchrist were already committed before the summer began. And, having Ryan Harrow signed can’t be undervalued, especially when the class in question has a dearth of point guards and a surplus of bigs.

Still, it really comes down to having faith in Calipari — and how much you can trust in that faith. Because after this upcoming season, the roster will be at best heavily diminished and at worst entirely depleted. It’s possible that the only returnees after this year will be Kyle Wiltjer, Stacey Poole, Jon Hood, Jarrod Polson and Twany Beckham. The concern is that perhaps a couple recruits don’t end up selecting UK, and it could be too late to get others. However, there’s two counterpoints to that: 1) I doubt Calipari would find a way to lose control of the situation and not have alternates/backups in place, and 2) even if most of the elites fell through, the 20-40 range could all probably be had relatively easily, even if there wasn’t much prior interest, simply because they would be elated to be at UK. It wouldn’t be the best-case scenario, but it certainly would avoid making a catastrophe of the 2012-13 season.

The overriding factor in all this: Calipari’s ability to recruit. It’s never been in question, but this year could be a showing of how good he really is. He’s back from a vacation and ready to hit the road starting Wednesday in preparation for the season after next. And he’ll probably get the job done.

or discuss with him at [email protected]