UK selects Capilouto as president

Kernel Staff File Photo

Eli Capilouto, current provost at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, was announced as UK’s 12th president Tuesday afternoon by the UK Board of Trustees.

The announcement came at the end of the Board meeting and nearly eight months after current President Lee Todd announced in September his plans to leave the university this summer after 10 years as president.

The Board’s vote was unanimous, 19-0. Trustee Jo Hern Curris was not in attendance.

Britt Brockman, chairman of the Board, said that the university wanted someone with four primary attributes: superior leadership and management skills, a record of scholarly achievement, innovative leadership skills, and the ability to communicate with internal and external constituencies of the university.

“It’s a description that appears almost to be written with Eli Capilouto in mind,” Brockman said.”

Capilouto said he was honored.

“With the deepest humility and gratitude, I accept the honor that you have bestowed upon me today and commit myself to use every ounce of my energy, and hopefully fitness, to advance this wonderful university,” Capilouto said.

He said that he would continue to push the university to set high goals.

“I’m confident working together those big dreams that have always motivated me in my life, and I know motivate you, will come to reality and we can celebrate together,” Capilouto said.

According to a university news release, Capilouto’s base salary will be $500,000.

His total compensation is worth $675,000, according to the release, which is more than Todd’s current compensation of $657,000.

Capilouto will be required to live on-campus in the president’s home, Maxwell Place. The release said he will also be provided with an automobile and membership fees.

Brockman said UK was not only happy to welcome Capilouto to campus, but his wife and daughter as well.

“We are lucky and fortunate today in Eli Capilouto, Mary Lynne and Emily we have found a family that meets our expectations and a criteria we have set forth to led Kentucky’s most vital institution at a critical moment in its history,” Brockman said. “But as importantly, we have found people we will be proud to make part of our family.

“Today, we choose a leader who like Dr. Todd before him is challenging us not to dream too little dreams.”