Board will vote on next president, tuition increase, Commonwealth upgrades

By Joy Priest

The UK Board of Trustees will meet twice on Tuesday to extend a formal offer to the preferred candidate for UK’s 12th president, approve the proposed tuition increase and vote on a project that will involve replacing the video boards at Commonwealth Stadium.

“First, the full board will meet at 8 a.m. … to receive details about the feedback gathered from the surveys,” Britt Brockman, the Board of Trustees chairman, said in an email to faculty, staff and students on April 25. At 1 p.m., the Board will have its normal meeting in which they will vote “to extend a formal offer to UK’s 12th president.”

Brockman said the Board would be making links to surveys available to faculty, staff and students to provide feedback on the candidate.

“The survey will be open from Sunday evening until 6 p.m., Monday, May 2,” Brockman said in the email.

To take the survey, faculty and students must enter their Link Blue ID. Participants’ identity will remain anonymous.

“The results will be reported to the Board, so that we might have an accurate sense of how the preferred candidate was received on campus,” Brockman said in the email.

Outgoing Student Government President Ryan Smith said he feels the administration has done a great job in its attempt to include students.

“I think that we’ve been included just as much as any other constituency that the university represents,” Smith said. “Taylor Cox and I have participated in that process. I think the fact we have two members on the search committee is a testament that we’ve been included in the process from the very beginning.”

Smith said he feels he and Cox have looked out for the best interest of students and tried to make sure students’ input is taken seriously.

Also on the agenda is the approval of the 2011-2012 Tuition and Mandatory Fees schedule, which includes the 6 percent tuition increase. If approved by the Board, President Todd will submit the schedule to the Council on Postsecondary Education for approval at its June 10 meeting.

Under the 6 percent increase, on-campus housing will be experience a 9 percent increase. Tuesday’s agenda states the proposed housing increases, in addition to continued operational costs, will go to support “construction of new housing located in the north campus area. The new housing is currently in the design phase and set for construction beginning summer 2011.”

Finally, Board members will vote to approve a project called “Replace Video Boards at Commonwealth Stadium.” According to the meeting agenda, “this project will replace the video boards at Commonwealth Stadium with new LED technology video panels and sound system.”

The project will cost $6.25 million and “will be funded entirely with private funds.”

Brockman said in the April 25 email that the 1 p.m. meeting would be streamed live at http://uknow.uky.edu/.