APO sponsers Futbol for Fertiza

By Lindsey Austin

UK’s chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a national coed service fraternity, is hosting the “Fútbol for Fertiza” Soccer Tournament on Saturday, April 30 from 12 to 5 p.m. at the Johnson Center Fields.

APO has hosted the fundraiser in the past and is resurrecting the tournament in the hopes of making it an annual project. The tournament is open to all UK students, and players of all skill levels are welcome to register.

The tournament will be divided into two brackets: “rookies” and “ballers.” Teams consist of five players and must contain either three males and two females, or vice versa. Each player on the winning team of each bracket will receive a $10 gift card to Raising Cane’s. Players who cannot find a team can register individually and will be placed on a team.

“Through a non profit organization called IdukayPeru, all of the proceeds will go towards educational, medical, nutritional and sanitation-related support of an impoverished settlement in Peru called Fertiza,” said Aaron Samide, sophomore biology major and Fertiza Project chair.

The “Fútbol for Fertiza” fundraiser is just one of APO’s many philanthropic projects throughout the year. Members have also volunteered at sites such as God’s Pantry, Mayfair Village and the Hope Center.

“UK’s chapter of Alpha Phi Omega performed more than 3,000 hours of service last semester alone, making us one of the most accomplished chapters in the nation,” Samide said.

In preparation for the tournament, APO hosted fundraising events at local restaurants like Naticakes and Mellow Mushroom. UK Student Government is also helping fund the tournament. Eli Edwards, sophomore secondary English education major and College of Education senator for SG, is sponsoring the tournament as his Senate Special Project. Edwards is also a member of APO.

“I selected this project because it is a great cause that has the ability to impact an impoverished community in Peru,” Edwards said. “It’s also a great way to relax before finals week, and at the same time do service by helping the less fortunate.”

Teams and individual players must register online at https://sites.google.com/site/futbolforfertiza/ if they want a spot in the tournament. The registration fee is $5 per person, paid on the day of the event. This fee includes a t-shirt.