Documentary details life of a military family

By Allison VanderHorst

Jake Rademacher came to UK Tuesday night to show his documentary “Brothers at War,” a documentary about three brothers experiencing the war in Iraq in different ways. Two of Rademacher’s brothers went to Iraq to fight, and Rademacher took a video camera and a camera crew there in order to find out why.

Rademacher was introduced by School of Human Environmental Sciences Director Ann Vail, Family Studies Department Chair Ronald Werner–Wilson and Lexington Vice Mayor Linda Gorton.

“I am delighted to be here, and I really appreciate your work, Jake, to highlight the work our military has done,” Gorton said.

As soon as Rademacher took the microphone, he asked all the people in the audience who had served in the military or are currently serving to stand and be recognized. He then asked all the family members of people who have served or are currently serving to stand as well.

Rademacher explained that he was a member of the second group and had seen two of his brothers join the military and head off to war. He said that his goal for his documentary was to help people understand what the military has done for them.

UK is the first university other than West Point to show “Brothers at War.”

“I think it’s great that the university has decided to take an active role to support the military,” Rademacher said.

The lights went down and the documentary began. “Brothers at War” is a two-hour glimpse into the lives of American soldiers living in Iraq. It shows a real picture of things that were going on in Iraq and gives an in-depth view of the toll that life can take on the families involved.

“’Brothers at War’ is an honest, on-the-ground documentary about lives of Americans fighting (in Iraq),” said film critic Roger Ebert.

The documentary began by introducing Rademacher and his family. His brother Joe had been to Iraq once already and his brother Isaac was about to deploy for the third time, leaving behind his wife and his daughter. He was proud of what he was doing, but leaving his family made it hard to go.

“I already told you I believe in what I’m doing, but damn you’re asking a lot if I don’t come back,” Isaac Rademacher said in the documentary.

Soon after that, Jake Rademacher organized his crew and was on his way to Iraq to discover what was going on and why his brother had decided to risk his life. In the documentary he says that he found answers to both questions and so much more.

During his three and a half weeks in Iraq, Rademacher went on one mission and spent the rest of his time living with American military men including Isaac. Isaac was happy to have him and was glad he could share his experience.

“You get to see my life in a way no one else can — Mom and Dad, they don’t know what I do. They try, but they don’t know,” Isaac Rademacher said.

After those three and a half weeks, Jake Rademacher returned home, but he later returned to Iraq to experience the harder, tougher aspects of the war his brother Joe said he couldn’t understand without being there. In his second trip, Rademacher went on more missions and even witnessed several casualties.

At the end of the documentary, Rademacher said he knew he did not experience what his brothers had, but he felt he had a much better understanding of them.

“I don’t know if I earned a seat at the table with Joe, but I know after walking a mile in their shoes I’ve gotten to know my bothers a little better,” Rademacher said.

After the documentary concluded, there was a question and answer session, and Rademacher was asked what message he wanted people to take away from his work.

“In a sense I want you to make up your own mind,” Rademacher said, “but I guess, have an appreciation for the people we have serving us and why they are doing it. I hope this gives people the chance to walk a mile in a serviceman’s shoes.”

The event was sponsored by the School of Environmental Sciences, Department of Family Studies and the UK Veterans Resource Center.