Campus farewell to Lee, Patsy Todd

By Steven King

Students have a chance Tuesday to see UK President Lee Todd and First Lady Patsy Todd speak before they leave the university in June.

In honor of the tenure of the president and the first lady, the Student Government Association is organizing the Campus Celebration of the Todds’ Tenure, to be held at the Patterson Office Tower Plaza from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The celebration will recognize the contributions and innovations the 11th president and his wife have given to UK with an ice cream social, snacks and giveaways.

The entire UK community is invited to the event.

Others will also speak, like Will Nash, a former student, Rodney Andrews, a member of the faculty, Robynn Pease, who was on the Board of Trustees last year, and Terry Birdwhistell, the dean of libraries.

Pease will speak in regards to the commitment the Todds have had to improving not only the university, but the state as a whole.

“For the Todds, the key vehicle for improving the state is what happens here,” Pease said.  “I think that work has been so incredibly important. I think more than any other president, they sent a message that they’re here for you and want to get to know people.”

SG President Ryan Smith is confident the Campus Celebration of the Todds’ Tenure will be a positive event.

“This is a great opportunity for faculty, staff and students to share their stories, memories and experiences about the Todds,” Smith said. “This will provide the campus community with an opportunity to hear unique perspectives that certain individuals have with the Todds and share with everyone what the Todds have done over the 10 years to make UK successful.”

The event has brought excitement to many members of the campus community.

Paige Crowley, a biology junior, is looking forward to attending.

“I have had an amazing time at UK so far,” Crowley said.  “Obviously, the Todds have worked hard to make sure that the school gives students and faculty every opportunity to succeed, and I want to go to the event to see them and honor them before they leave.”

Related:

Todd’s retirement surprises trustees

Todd says it was ‘right time’

Top 20 plan in question