What the future holds for UK players

after to Wildcats Final Four loss, 56-55, against UCONN at Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX on Saturday, April 2, 2011. Photo by Britney McIntosh

“It just ends. It’s done.” — UK head coach John Calipari, on a season-ending loss.

With a loss in the NCAA Tournament, the entire season momentarily crashes down. “Falls off a cliff,” as Calipari put it.

Sure, there will be plenty of reflection. But the months-long buildup has an abrupt climax, one that came too soon for UK.

As soon as UK’s season officially ended with a 56-55 loss to Connecticut in the Final Four, the questions began in the locker room, asking about next year even as the players sat disappointed on their locker room chairs.

The three star freshmen were all asked about the NBA and whether they would still be at UK next year. All three said their focus was this year only.

“I don’t know,” Brandon Knight said. “I can’t tell you about the future.”

“I’m not thinking about that right now,” Doron Lamb said.

“I don’t know,” Terrence Jones said. “It’s the last game this season. I’m not worried about NBA stuff right now.”

Knight and Jones project as lottery picks, and Lamb is considered a late first round to early second round selection.

DeAndre Liggins said he would be evaluating his professional options.

“Right now I’m just focused on my academics, my family, my child and my girl,” Liggins said. “But when that time comes, I’ll talk with my family and Coach Cal and go from there.”

Harrellson now has a professional future to strive for. He was invited to the Portsmouth Invitational, a scouting opportunity for seniors.

“Work hard, get better and get to the next level,” Harrellson said was his focus for the summer. “Hopefully I can make a living for me and my family.”

Darius Miller was not asked about his future plans.

The coaches, too, now face a shift. No more opponents to prepare for.

“We just went six months with no days off,” Calipari said. “We also went to Canada, so that’s another three weeks. And now it just ends. So all the coaches out there, they know what I’m saying. It’s a tough deal.”