Presidential search field narrowed

The Presidential Search Committee is making progress toward choosing the next UK president.

During meetings in northern Kentucky Tuesday and Wednesday, the committee interviewed candidates for the presidential position in closed session, a UK press release said.

Student Government President and committee member Ryan Smith said he is excited about the prospects for president.

“I think that so far the candidates have exceptionally high qualifications and are phenomenal candidates,” Smith said, “and I’m very excited about the process.”

Board of Trustees chair Britt Brockman told UK Public Relations he feels confident the list of candidates will be narrowed to three to five by April 11.

Brockman said the committee hopes to have a finalist chosen by May 1, a deadline he has called “very ambitious.”

Smith, however, said the presidential search process is running on schedule.

“The process itself is going really well,” Smith said. “It’s smooth. It’s obviously time-demanding, but it’s going smoothly. We’re on schedule, we’re on track and everything so far has gone according to plan.”

The release said the committee will interview preferred candidates Thursday afternoon. The list of finalists to be selected at the April 11 committee meeting will go to the Board of Trustees, who make the final decision.

UK President Lee Todd will retire in June.