Abortion act limits women’s reproductive rights

Column by Allie Huddleston. E-mail opinions@kykernel.com.

If a complete stranger approached you in the street and told you that he or she would like to make your medical decisions, how would you feel?

If you are like me, you may feel rather uncomfortable and a little offended. What does a stranger know about my health needs?

What if this stranger was a member of the 112th United States Congress, and was part of a large group of representatives pushing bills that would not only take away funding for cervical cancer, STD screenings, and birth control, but also let pregnant women die from refusal of care?

Unfortunately, a bunch of strangers has decided that measures such as these are completely in the public interest, and these strangers happen to be our very own lawmakers.

Meet H.R.3 (No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act), H.R.217 (Title X AbortionProvider Prohibition Act) and H.R.358 (Protect Life Act), the latest attempt to limit ourreproductive choices by practically making those choices for us!

The track records of these bills are not pretty. Proponents of H.R.3 attempted to deny abortions required in the case of rape or incest by “redefining rape” so that it excluded the majority of rape survivors.

Despite the fact that this measure was ultimately scrapped from H.R.3, what does this say about the ideas these lawmakers have about women in the first place?

Clearly they do not respect women, even survivors of traumatic sexual experiences, and do not understand reproductive health in the least.

Their ignorance of the subject is made clear by proposing more absurd ideas through H.R.217 and H.R.358. H.R.217 proposes cutting all funding for organizations under Title X, such as Planned Parenthood, because they provide abortion services.

For the record, all federal funding for Planned Parenthood is used to offer services such as STD testing, birth control, health counseling and pap smears, and a very small part of their organization provides alternatively-funded abortions.

By denying all funding to Planned Parenthood, they are really denying funding basic medical services to people who need them, namely millions of women nationwide who cannot afford expensive insurance plans to cover the cost of birth control and annual cervical cancer exams.

I see no respect in denying individuals the right to reasonably priced, medically necessary health services that mainly affect women. I also see no respect in letting women die under the guise of “protecting life.”

Under H.R.358, health care providers such as doctors, insurance companies, and other medical staff would not be required to refer, perform, participate, or even undergo training to perform abortions.

So, if you happen to be a pregnant woman who needs a life-saving abortion, your doctor could completely refuse to save your life or even refer you to people who will. Which is, you know, a doctor’s job.

Whose life does this protect? If H.R.358 protected women and their unborn children, it would not permit them to be at the mercy of their medical providers’ ideological views.

What underlies these restrictions on reproductive health is the fact that there are very few women proposing these bills, and men are calling most of the shots. Men who seem to know everything about circumstances surrounding women’s reproductive health, and do not trust women to make their own choices.

It is a clear attempt to limit access to abortion and contraceptives and reduce women to the “life-bearing vessels” these representatives view them as.

Women do not exist for the sole purpose of continuing the human race. Women are individuals with needs and goals; how can a woman meet her needs if she is uninsured and dependent on Title X for her health services?

How can a woman achieve her goals if the ability to plan the spacing of her children is restricted or taken away from her?

Reproductive health is now the number three issue in Congress. If these people want to get re-elected, I advise them to stay out of individuals’ private medical decisions and focus on the issues we elected them for.

I never expected the 112th Congress to care more about limiting abortion than the economy, but as a mere, life-bearing woman, what do I know?

Allie Huddleston is a gender and women’s studies freshman. E-mail opinions@kykernel.com.

Anonymous says:

A child, disabled person, and the elderly all depend on the body of others to take care of them, yet we do not kill them.

Anonymous says:

If you wish to argue by analogy, consider this: does another person have the right to your kidney if they need it to live? A fetus needs the mother’s body to continue life, but does it have the right to her organs and health for that period, including the possibility of life-altering complications?

Anonymous says:

Does that mean you let serial killers run the streets and do what they want because you cannot judge them? As a Christian, you don’t judge the person, but you must judge the action, and stand up for what God commands, which is do not kill.

Anonymous says:

Anonymous says:

Does that mean you let a serial killer run the streets and do what they want because you cannot judge their actions? As a Christian, you don’t judge the person, but you must judge the action and stand up for what is right. God tells us do not kill.

Anonymous says:

Fariba Kanga says:

If I randomly murdered a man on the street I would rightly be considered a murderer and be imprisoned. I do not have the right to kill that man. What right does a woman have to kill her baby? A woman’s, like a man’s, rights stop with her life. As a feminist I find the pro-choice movement so hypocritical. In China and India, the majority of aborted children are women. The pro-choice feminist movement supports the killing of women. Interesting.

Women do have choices. They have the choice to not have sex, and even if they are raped there should be support groups out there to prevent them from killing a person. We must of course love these women, and we will be showing them our love when we support them in keeping their babies. After all, when does a person really start becoming a person? Right now, pro-choice men and women say: at birth. But there are partial birth abortions done every day and six month old fetuses could live outside of the womb. Pre-mature babies are born everyday. Is a person someone who walks and talks? So are the mentally and physically handicapped not people? Are elderly with Alzheimer’s disease not people? When is a person a person then?

“From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you” (Psalm 71:6 NIV).

Life starts at conception. Period.

Anonymous says:

I am so glad that you replied to my post. It has really gotten me thinking. Not everyone believes in God and Jesus, and I accept this. However, I know we all have common sense or at least recognize it when we see it. So, here is some more food for thought.

If someone truly loves gardening they:
1. Find the seeds/plants they want to plant.
2. Till the land.
3. Plant the seeds/plants.
4. Care for the seeds/plants while they wait for the seeds/plants to grow and bare fruit.
5. Harvest and enjoy the fruit they have grown.

Someone who loves to garden does not:
1. Spray pest-asides on their crops to kills their crops before they have had a chance to prosper.

If someone truly loves making love with another they:
1. Find a woman/man they want to marry.
2. Prepare a romantic wedding and room for the evening.
3. Make love, where a man plants his sperm in a women to fertilize her egg.
4. Take care of each other while the fetus is developing.
5. Have a baby and enjoy a life with him/her.

Someone how loves making love with another does not:
1. Abort their child before he/she is fully developed and without offering him/her a chance to live.

If we are not willing to harvest our crops then we should not plant them to begin with. If we are not willing to raise a child then we should not be having sex.

Anonymous says:

If someone truly loves gardening they:
2. Till the land.
3. Plant the seeds/plants.

Someone who loves to garden does not:

1. Find a woman/man they want to marry.

Anonymous says:

If someone truly loves gardening they:
2. Till the land.
3. Plant the seeds/plants.

Someone who loves to garden does not:

1. Find a woman/man they want to marry.

Anonymous says:

You’re very confused. Your focus seems to be mainly on abortion, but you should know that abortions comprise only 3% of PPFA’s services. Additionally, you should know that no federal funds are used for abortions and that in Kentucky Planned Parenthood does not offer abortion services at all. Luckily for you it seems Planned Parenthood will soon be losing their federal funds anyway. This isn’t lucky for women. What do you want to deny women? Breast and cervical cancer screenings, the HPV vaccine, Hepatitis vaccines, access to birth control (which actually lowers the abortion rate), truthful and accurate options counseling, and even colonoscopies. Maybe you’ll feel differently if you see that in taking away funding from PPFA men would also be denied care – UTI and STI testing and treatment and check-ups when you have a sexual or reproductive health problem. I’m confused by your ideas about PPFA and money. You seem to be suggesting that PPFA wants to profit from the problems of others. They are a non-profit organization. Their funds go to pay for the care they provide. Additionally, patients only pay what they can afford, whether that be 0% or 100% of the cost.

One more note: I consider Lila Rose and LiveAction to be a terroristic organization, and a very sick one at that. While they are busy “exposing” Planned Parenthood, federally funded crisis pregnancy centers are prosthelytizing to the women seeking help at their facilities. This is against the law. Do you know what is not against the law? Having an abortion. Additionally, lying to women about the state of their pregnancy (saying they are not pregnant or that they are not as far along as they thought) in order to delay or prevent abortion is a violation of the right to a safe and legal medical procedure. Providing inaccurate medical information to women trying to make an informed decision about abortion is also a violation of this right. When a woman is told abortion raises the risk of breast cancer, she is not able to make an informed decision. The National Cancer Institute recognizes that there is no link between abortion and breast cancer. This is the kind of false information CPC’s are giving women while presenting as medical facilities.

I applaud the writer of this column. First, for sharing her opinion in a factually driven way. Second, for being a young person who believes in a cause. And last for resisting the urge to tell people how to make the most important decisions of their lives. Take a step back and learn to do the same.

Anonymous says:

When I was in eight grade I took a friend, who knew about Jesus but definitely didn’t know Jesus in his heart, to a church event. Honestly, I can’t tell you if he ever came to know Jesus because we haven’t kept in touch, but this doesn’t matter. When I took him into Immaculate Heart of Marry Church he saw Jesus on the cross and turned to me saying, “That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.” By saying this he was saying that Jesus’ suffering and death was the coolest thing he had ever seen. That to me is powerful in so many ways. It is fine if you see my beliefs as “unpersuasive to those who do not share [my] religious beliefs” However, I want you to know that I sharing my beliefs with unbelievers as well as believers because I have hope that they may be inspired and awed by what I share just as my friend was awed by Jesus on the cross.

Q: “Why would those who do not worship Jesus as you do, be persuaded in the slightest when you say they ought-a “carry their cross as Jesus did”?”
A: I am not looking to persuade. I can not change people’s view points, beliefs or decisions. All I am doing is sharing my view points and beliefs because I can. There is no harm in doing so but there is plenty of hope. I hope people take the phrase, “carry their cross as Jesus did,” as food for thought. I hope they understand what I mean by that phrase or seek to find a meaning in that phrase.

Yesterdays gospel was Mark 9:38-40
“John said to Jesus, “Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us.” Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us.”

I hope that those religious beliefs i shared touch someone even in the smallest way because “whoever is not against us is for us.” We can not afford to lose God in this world of sin and death and we can not afford to remain silent. :)

I see what you mean, and I agree!

Anonymous says:

Amen!

(Though, I always feel a little like too much ground is being given when we throw abortion too far under the bus by advocating for access to safe, affordable, available contraceptives and comprehensive sex education as a “solution to abortion.” I believe that other forms of contraception and family planning are preferable in so far as they are less invasive, with corresponding comparative lower medical risk, but that we shouldn’t necessarily phrase it as a “solution to abortion.” By allowing that abortion needs solving, I think we can accidentally add to the unwarranted shaming of the procedure.)

Anonymous says:

“It seems to me that one either defines personhood as beginning at conception, or is faced with the inability to define an exact, concrete moment.”

Our world is made of moral ambiguity, moral gray spectrums. Though it is more difficult, I believe that is foolish, and ultimately immoral, to impose black-white clarity where it doesn’t exist.

So, while it may seem to you “that one either defines personhood as beginning at conception, or is faced with the inability to define an exact, concrete moment,” it seems to me that we must face our reality as it presents itself, full of ambiguity with not much “exact, concrete” moral ground to stand upon.

Which is why we must trust women, to make the decisions for their bodies and their lives, that are most correct for themselves, holistically rather than narrowly. Trust women.

Anonymous says:

Your religions beliefs are your religious beliefs, and you are absolutely entitled to them, as well as entitled to voice them, as well as to be informed by them in the creation of your political beliefs.

You should know, though, that claims that are so religiously based, are absolutely unpersuasive to those who do not share your religious beliefs. Because they are not based on a more universal logic, or even a more universal moral worldview, they fall apart for those who reject the religious premises they stand on.

When you say, “Children are blessings from God!!” or “Only God can give the gift of life and only God should be able to take that life away,” those who do not believe so, or do not believe it is ‘simply so,’ are unable to engage in any meaningful discussion with you.

Why would those who do not worship Jesus, or do not worship Jesus as you do, be persuaded in the slightest when you say they ought-a “carry their cross as Jesus did”?

Anonymous says:

“Adoption waiting lists can take up to ten years”

Though I support and affirm those women who choose adoption, the fact that there are many couples/individuals/families who’d like to adopt in no way suggests that pregnant women considering their options should feel required or guilted or coerced in any fashion to endure nine months of pregnancy and potentially dangerous labor in order to gratify those couples/individuals/families. It does not follow.

“…abortions cause so many reproductive and psychological repercussions, particularly when done at a young age–scarring, infertility, other issues that while they may seem a quick fix, they ultimately do more harm than good.”

Can you provide your sources? I have read much to the contrary– that abortion, when completed by a medical professional, and especially in the first trimester, is actually an extremely safe medical procedure, and that these physical consequences you mention, “scarring, infertility” are extremely, extremely rare.

Also, I think you might be referring to the long debunked ‘post abortion syndrome’ with your mention of “psychological repercussions.” The vast majority of women feel an array of emotions after a non coercive abortion, but the most common and most lasting is that of relief.

I of course don’t expect you to take my word for it, and I’d be entirely willing to hunt down sources for you, as well, if you’d give me yours that support your claims.

The motion to defund Planned Parenthood is a personal attack on women like me. Despite that I am a college graduate, finding employment has been incredibly hard as a result of our failing economy. Thankfully, I have a job that offers health insurance, but the amount it cuts out of my paycheck each month barely allows me to afford some of the necessary expenses to keep myself clothed, housed, and fed. I can not imagine the devastating effect an unplanned pregnancy would have on my life, which it would in fact be devastating.

But there are women out there living practically on peanuts, who have more than one child to care for in their home. They lead incredibly difficult lives in which there’s never enough food or time or money to pay for the things they need to survive. The children in these families may be alive, but their quality of life is extremely poor.

Most people do not understand that children born to low income families, the kind of families that Planned Parenthood provides care, have an extremely high risk of future drug abuse, committing crime, and becoming parents at a young age themselves. Not all babies, once they are born, go home to a nice house with a warm bed, plenty of space for crawling, clean food to eat, warm baths at night, and a parent that can be around 24/7 to guarantee they become healthy, responsible, educated, adults. For many unplanned children, they are taken home to exactly the opposite.

Usually when people speak about the poor, they think about ways in which they can help them out, understanding that they have a difficult existence in which they are often looked over by those more fortunate. I have never seen so much anger aimed towards the poor than through the guise of caring about unborn fetuses.

Did you know that for every dollar spent on reproductive health, there is a four dollar return over time? If you give women access to reproductive health care, they have the ability to make better decisions about having children and most importantly WHEN. Anti-abortion or pro-life, whatever you call it, the solution to abortion is clear: give women access.

If saving money is the greatest motive for the Republicans, then they would support reproductive rights rather than try to roll them back. Fewer unwanted children means fewer dollars spent in welfare and other programs aimed at helping disadvantaged families (ahem, Headstart). Money doesn’t need to be spent on people who have never existed in the first place.

And for anyone who says “women should just keep their legs closed” I have two answers for that. 1) Take a human sexuality course because obviously no one’s ever taught you the complexities of human relationships. 2) You can easily have sex with your legs closed, thank you very much.

Anonymous says:

Allie, thank you for this article. Though the “Assurance” crisis pregnancy center banner right below it and right above this comment box is almost too much irony to bear.

I am pro-choice. Not because i believe Abortion is right, but because i belief i as an American, and as a human am no more intelligent or better than anyone else. As a Christian i believe that God is the only one that can judge a person for their actions, so we as people cannot tell someone how they should live their lives, or believe. If a woman feels that an abortion is her only option, then i have NO right to tell her that she cant.

Our representatives are jokes. Rep. Pence said, “By banning federal funding to Planned Parenthood, Congress has taken a stand for millions of Americans who believe their tax dollars should not be used to subsidize the largest abortion provider in America.”

Abortion is very very tiny part of Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood provides many other services, needed services, for women that cannot afford them. Way to go congressmen, let’s see what more we can take from the less fortunate.

Anonymous says:

Once upon a time, I was very divided on the abortion issue, but as an artist I was asked to visit the Louisville abortion clinic to do illustrations for an article. In an hour and a half, 22 women went through those doors, carrying the clothes and other articles required when getting an abortion. All of a sudden it occurred to me: That is a classroom full of kids.

Adoption waiting lists can take up to ten years, abortions cause so many reproductive and psychological repercussions, particularly when done at a young age–scarring, infertility, other issues that while they may seem a quick fix, they ultimately do more harm than good.

Also, when it comes to spacing births, measuring cycles through natural family planning (temperature, cervix diameter, mucus) and breastfeeding are also extremely effective methods… and anyway the law isn’t exactly saying ban condoms.

Anonymous says:

Anonymous says:

Children are a blessing from God!! They are a beautiful gift, not a burden to have to bare in life. I don’t care how God chooses to bless women with the gift of children they are still a gift non the less. You wouldn’t though a gift away that you received from a dear friend so how could you even think of throwing away a gift from God?!?!? Women who are victims of rape, women that sleep around and women that are married who become impregnated are being blessed by God with the great gift of life! Only God can give the gift of life and only God should be able to take that life away. If a woman isn’t meant to raise a life given by God then they will miscarry that life they hold in their womb. Otherwise women need to face the fact that they have a life within them, carry their cross as Jesus did, let go of their troubles and sorrows and do everything in their power to raise that little life gifted to them.

Anonymous says:

Health care is good, murder is not so much. The answer to your problem is to stop sleeping around. A baby should not have to pay for your stupid decision.

Anonymous says:

I am a pro-life feminist. I believe that women have rights, even if they are still in the womb.

Anonymous says:

Abortion limits the child’s rights!!

Anonymous says:

Abortion limits the child’s rights!! Stop murder now!!

Anonymous says:

The first question that needs to be answered is whether the unborn child is a person. If the unborn child is indeed a person, then no man or woman has the right to take their life. If the unborn child is not a person, then when does personhood begin? Is there some moment during pregnancy were the unborn suddenly becomes a person? Some people would say that the child becomes a person at the moment of birth. What about five minutes before birth? Nothing about the child changes between those two moments, except physical location. So when does personhood begin? It seems to me that one either defines personhood as beginning at conception, or is faced with the inability to define an exact, concrete moment.

Also, for most cases were the mother’s life is in danger, if the child were allowed to continue growing, the mother would die before the child could survive outside the womb. Losing the lives of both the child and the mother in this case would be foolish. This does not mean, however, that the child should be killed. Everything possible should be done to save the lives of both, although the child may still die. As cats1289 said, however, these types of pregnancies rarely occur.

Greg Adams says:

I’m sorry, but someone needs to call this opinion what it really is: propaganda. Clearly the writer is much more interested in her ideology and much less about women. Proof: the endless stream of undercover videos by LiveAction showing how Planned Parenthood uses common practices that are the antithesis of helping women in need. In fact, if this writer were so inclined to plight of marginaliased women, she would be advocating the passage of these bills. Planned Parenthood has shown a penchant for keeping women in abusive and dangerous situations instead of helping them when they need it most. The reason: the almighty dollar. That’s right! We taxpayers give a third of a billion dollars to Planned Parenthood yearly, and the organization only wants more money. It’s not interested in helping women like everyone claims. As for theses other bills she has mentioned: they are worthy of our time. They basically give the individual (including an expecting mother) CHOICES in the abortion debate. From the healthcare professional with a conscience to the mother who needs to see her ultrasound to make an educated decision, from beginning to end, these bills aforementioned are here for all our benefits, most especially the pregnant woman in need.

Anonymous says:

Opposition to abortion, like the abortion itself, is an incredibly personal act and not an easy choice to make for most. The bludgeon that is impersonal legislation has no business in that decision; social norms and honest (not like the “rape crisis centers”) argument are needed for either side.
I agree with former President Clinton. Abortions should be safe, available, and rare. The only way to reduce the number of abortions is not ban, but social changes to make life better for women and newly-born people everywhere.

Until we take care of the living, we cannot morally tell people what to do about the egg.

Anonymous says:

I am very thankful for our health insurance, and even more thankful that we found an affordable one through wise health insurance online. It has been 6 years that they have not increased my premiums. Having health insurance gives us a peace of mind

Anonymous says:

Although I personally am pro-choice I do think a problem with arguing the abortion issue is when you bring into question fetuses created by rape. To me it’s an all or nothing issue. I believe that abortion should be available in every circumstance. However, it’s not a defensible position to be opposed to abortion except in cases of rape, incest, etc. Either human life is universal or we make decisions about what is a valid life and what isn’t. Aborting fetuses born of rape only because of that is simply transmitting the sins of the father or mother (let’s not forget men can be raped) onto the child.

Anonymous says:

The abortion issue is hot topic in congress, thank you for writing about it. It is wise for all of us to become educated on the issue, so here’s a look at the other side. Note to all: it is helpful to do your own research and think about the issue from all sides, not just a tax payer’s view but also a moral standpoint.

There is injustice in abortion, it is not a health risk or a medical issue, but a social concern that we should ALL pay attention to. Approximately 25% of our generation is missing from our classrooms, communities, and families, and women everywhere are suffering because of their decision to terminate (abort: latin for Aborior, meaning to fail) their child.

The term “pro-life” refers to the position that human life is intrinsically valuable; in other words, human life ought to “count” in society, regardless of whether it is useful, convenient, or pleasant.

To quote the original editorial, “Women do not exist for the sole purpose of continuing the human race. Women are individuals with needs and goals…”

Women are not imprisoned when they are with child, and 99% of the time, should not be surprised that yes, their choice to engage in sexual activity may result in pregnancy. By choosing an abortion, women are sentencing a vulnerable, voiceless human life to a death sentence. I am sure that mothers, at times, feel inconvenienced, but the love and life that results usually outweighs selfish repercussions, ask your own mom. Also, it would be a stretch to find any mother who feels that her life exists solely for the continuation of the human race, though that sounds like a more noble cause than anything most of us are working toward now!

“Clearly they do not respect women, even survivors of traumatic sexual experiences, and do not understand reproductive health in the least.”

The government is respecting women by taking a more educated look at where tax payer money does and does not belong. Put yourself on the other side of the argument: imagine you you find abortion unethical and immoral, and you see tax money going to a heavily debated issue. How would that make you feel? Sure, we all have our disagreements and debates over tax money to begin with…so why fund the most controversial issue of all?

Additionally, women have, for the past 30 plus years, been misinformed about the abortion industry and what they are dealing with in this process. Undercover documentaries exploit abortion physicians explaining that the living being growing inside of them is just a mass of tissue, just a fetus when it is scientifically proven that a heart beat can be heard on the 22nd day after conception. Women often act impulsively in this situation and are incorrectly counseled.

Yes, every situation is different, and yes, every woman, just as every man, should have the right to protect their life, however, we must, as a culture, redefine what this means. In order to cultivate a society that cares for all people, we must stop killing the most vulnerable. I think the Feminists For Life put it best, working to create and promote such equal rights among ALL people. They reiterate the need for a culture that acknowledges respect, even for the tiniest and most vulnerable, just as women fought and continue to fight, for equality. Pro-women should mean pro-life. Instead, women are mistreated like machines and the sacred human body has become subject to political chatter.

Final note-some other interesting statistics reveal that 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).