Liggins’ emotional response to family presence, Judd gives acting advice to Jones

DeAndre Liggins’ eyes glanced off the court at times. His mind wandered away from the basketball games.

It was because he had seven family members — his mother, who was watching her son play for the first time since his freshman year, along with two sisters and four cousins — in the stands.

“Oh my god. I was just looking at her while I was playing and kind of lost focus,” Liggins said. “I was happy to see her and got kind of emotional. I’m just happy they came.”

Liggins seemed to play with some extra aggressiveness, driving the lane more often and hoisting up shots. He scored 11 points on 3-for-10 shooting and got to the free-throw line eight times.

“I was jacked up. Of course I was hyped,” Liggins said. “I had a lot of energy to see my family in the stands watching me.”

***
Liggins’ family weren’t the only notable faces in the crowd last night. Former basketball players Jack Givens, Perry Stevenson and Ramon Harris all attended the game, as well as former football players Keenan Burton and Wesley Woodyard (who was the ‘Y’ at center court).

Also in the stands was Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and actress/superfan Ashley Judd.

When the media went into the locker room, Judd was finishing up a conversation with Terrence Jones at his locker.

“She was just explaining what she did to become an actress,” Jones said. “I was asking because I told her I wanted to be the next Rick Fox (a former professional basketball player who went into acting after his playing career), so she was giving me some pointers and tips.”

Here’s a video of Judd and Jones, courtesy of uksportinfo’s Youtube feed: