Freshmen help to propel Cool Cats

The UK Wildcats take on the Dayton Flyers at Lexington Ice Center on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

There are a few new faces on the UK ice hockey roster this semester, and their impact has been immediate, helping the Cool Cats reach their goals for the season.

These new players will look to make an impact again as the UK ice hockey team will be in action Friday and Saturday night against Wright State at the Lexington Ice Center.

Freshman defenseman Matt Kinman comes to UK after having played in the United States Hockey League, a premier minor league whose players retain their amateur status.

He first played for the USHL’s Sioux City Musketeers. The following season he played for the Waterloo Black Hawks after he was traded from the Tri-City Storm in the preseason. Kinman also played for the Springfield Jr. Blues of the North American Hockey League.

Kinman, a Kentucky resident, said he chose UK because he has a lot of friends on the team and had a good time on a visit to UK’s campus. In addition, Kinman was impressed by the Cats’ play against premier competition.

“UK has a strong club program,” Kinman said. “I wanted to be a part of that.”

He has enjoyed his time with the Cool Cats.

“It’s a good group of guys,” Kinman said. “(UK head coach Rob Docherty) is a good guy and a good coach.”

His impact was felt early in the University of Maryland in Baltimore County game. With UK trailing 1-0 in the first period, Kinman scored the tying goal and changed the momentum for UK as they went on to win 6-1.

“It was sweet,” Kinman said. “I didn’t tally any against a lesser opponent the night before.”

Junior forward Michael Getz has high praise for Kinman.

“He’s doing great,” Getz said. “He’s a huge defenseman and a huge asset.”

Freshman forward Gray McLaughlin has also enjoyed his experience with the Cool Cats.

“The guys have been great,” McLaughlin said. “They really welcomed me in.”

McLaughlin is the younger brother of junior forward Sean McLaughlin.

“We were teammates in high school,” McLaughlin said. “It’s always fun to play with him.”

Another freshman, forward Jake Boss, has been skating with the Cool Cats in practice and may see his first game action this weekend.

“Coach (Docherty) is looking to give him a shot,” Getz said.

Despite their youth, UK’s freshmen, including Kinman and McLaughlin, are already focusing on fitting in and playing well with their upperclassmen teammates.

“I expect to bring out the best in my line,” McLaughlin said.

Kinman reiterated a universal theme for the Cool Cats.

“I want to win out,” Kinman said.