The BBVA Compass Bowl Edge: UK vs. Pittsburgh

Key Matchups:

UK’s retooled coaching staff vs. Pitt’s retooled coaching staff

If one possessed no knowledge of Pitt football, one might assume that the Cats would be the team enduring the most growing pains with their coaching staff thanks to the recent additions of Steve Pardue, UK’s new running backs coach, and Rick Minter, UK’s new defensive co-coordinator who has assumed the play-calling duties from incumbent defensive coordinator Steve Brown. Minter has a reputation as a no-nonsense coach and is trying to win over his players—many of whom are big fans of Brown—with his philosophy.

However, UK’s coaching transitions during the past month have been far overshadowed by the coaching woes of the Panthers. On Dec. 8, Dave Wannstedt resigned as Pitt head coach largely due to his inability to get the Panthers to a BCS bowl during his six-year tenure. Wannstedt’s replacement, Miami (Ohio) head coach Mike Haywood was hired on Dec. 16 only to be fired on New Year’s Day after Haywood was arrested on a domestic violence charge.

Pitt defensive coordinator Phil Bennett is the Panthers’ acting head coach for their bowl game while the renewed coaching search is underway. Even so, all these coaching changes for the Panthers, who have said that they want to win the bowl game for Wannstedt, surely have had an effect on them in their preparations for the bowl game.

Edge: UK coaching staff

Morgan Newton vs. starter’s job

Sophomore quarterback Morgan Newton has had roughly a month to prepare for this bowl game after the suspension of fifth-year senior Mike Hartline following his arrest on charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

According to UK head coach Joker Phillips, Newton has made strides in learning the offense and reading defensive coverages since he started in the Music City Bowl last year for the Cats, one of eight games Newton started as a true freshman.

With Hartline gone next year, the pressure will not only be on Newton to replace the production of Hartline on Saturday (Hartline threw for 3,178 yards and 23 touchdowns this year), but to have a good showing to possibly solidify a starter’s role going into spring football and ultimately next year.

Newton has attempted seven passes in four games this season in mop-up duty, so Saturday will be his first extended action this season against a first-team defense, one that ranks ninth in the NCAA.

Edge: Newton

UK run defense vs. Dion Lewis and Ray Graham

As stellar as the Panthers’ defense has been this season, the UK run defense has been an Achilles heel all season long for the Cats, who ranked ahead of only Vanderbilt in the 12-team Southeastern Conference when it came to stopping the run.

The Panthers feature a tandem running back system with sophomores Dion Lewis and Ray Graham, who both average more than 10 carries and 75 yards per game.

Lewis was third in the NCAA in rushing yards as a true freshman in 2009 and broke Tony Dorsett’s Big East freshman rushing record with 1, 799 yards on the ground and 17 touchdowns to boot.

The Panthers’ rushing attack is aided by the fact that defenses are kept honest thanks to the presence of 6-foot-6 junior receiver Jonathan Baldwin, who snagged 52 catches for 810 yards this season.

Therefore, a clearer picture of whether or not Minter’s new defensive philosophy he has worked on instilling in his players has been a success will be evident following the final whistle of the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Edge: Lewis and Graham

Final Edge: Slight edge in favor of UK