Kanter ruled permanently ineligible

UK freshman Enes Kanter was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA in the second appeal ruling, the final ruling from the NCAA, “for receiving impermissible compensation from a professional team,” according to an NCAA release.

Kanter will not be allowed to compete, travel or practice with UK. He will remain with the team as an undergraduate student-assistant coach, able to perform “limited coaching duties.”

Three statements were released by UK, from UK head coach John Calipari, Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart, and President Lee Todd.

John Calipari: “We are obviously disappointed in this decision and find it unfortunate that a group of adults would come to such a decision regarding the future of an 18-year-old young man. This has never been about our program or the University of Kentucky, it has been about the wishes of Enes and his family to have their son educated in the United States. It is a shame that Enes had to endure the constant speculation and misinformation that was furthered by certain media organizations in the smear campaign conducted by his Turkish team.

“The silver lining is that Enes will always be part of this team.  My job will be to prepare him for his entry into the NBA Draft, which this decision by the Association will likely necessitate. Enes will always be a part of our family and I plan to be by his side in the green room whenever he is drafted.”

UK Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart: “We are disappointed in the result and equally disappointed in the process. We have spent significant effort and resources to help this young man play college basketball in the United States. This has been on our radar screen daily for 10 months.

UK President Lee Todd Jr: “I’m very disappointed in what appears to me to be an inconsistent decision that leaves an outstanding young man without any recourse. It’s very disappointing that this young man, who along with his family intended to do everything the right way and in compliance with the rules, won’t be able to pursue his dream of playing at UK and in intercollegiate athletics. As an NCAA board member, I continue to be puzzled and confused by the reasoning behind this decision, which seems to be an inconsistent and arbitrary application of the rules. It is unfortunate and disappointing that Enes and his family have been negatively impacted by this process. It is certainly a matter I will continue to try to understand and question in my remaining time on the board as part of an organization, whose stated purpose is to put families and student athletes first.” – Lee T. Todd, Jr

“We were informed by the NCAA that the flexible decisions made by the NCAA staff in other high-profile cases could not be used in case precedent and were not binding on the NCAA going forward. The University of Kentucky was very hopeful that our student-athlete might receive the same type of consideration afforded to these other athletes but that did not happen. We were also reminded on a regular basis that the amateurism and professionalism piece, including benefits received from a professional team, is the one area of Bylaw 12 that has not been deregulated.”

The NCAA recently enacted a rule helping players who played professionally to maintain amateur status, but the $33,033 Kanter received were excessive expenses.

“Although a recent NCAA rule change allows prospective student-athletes to compete on teams with professionals while maintaining their amateur status before  college enrollment, the membership maintained the longstanding rule that receipt of money above actual and necessary expenses from a professional team is a violation and defines the individual as a professional under NCAA legislation,” the statement said. “That was the case here.”

Kanter may have one other option, which is seeking legal action against the NCAA. On Friday before the decision, Calipari said he would support the Kanter family in whatever action they took.