UK vs. Louisville: 5 highlights from Dec. 28 game

By Nick Gray

Before Sunday’s win over No. 1-seed Wichita State University, UK’s best victory was against the University of Louisville on Dec. 28. The Cats won 73-66 in front of the season’s largest crowd at Rupp Arena.

Both teams have since made changes — like Louisville’s dismissal of junior Chane Behanan and UK’s tweaks. But five factors that were in play in December will determine the result of the teams’ Sweet 16 matchup on Friday in Indianapolis.

1. Freshman Julius Randle:

It was Randle’s best half of the season statistically, as he scored 17 points and missed only one shot. Cramps forced Randle to sit while UK held onto the lead. He has been hampered with cramps once since that game, and he has continued to be a double-double machine. Randle’s 21 minutes of playing time against Louisville was his lowest total of the season. He has played 29 or more minutes in the last 14 games.

2. Russ Smith:

Louisville’s 6-foot senior point guard struggled to make shots down the stretch, missing 13 shots overall. His long jump shots in the last eight minutes of the game gave the Cardinals empty possession after empty possession as UK controlled the lead late in the game. Smith has been beaten up throughout the season but has established himself as the Cards’ offensive director.

3. UK’s size:

A part of Smith’s 7-of-20 shooting performance was due to his inefficiency around the taller UK defense. The Cats’ length affected the smaller Louisville backcourt, notably in the second half with the game in the balance. UK’s big men set effective screens that stopped Cards defenders more often than not. With Louisville defenders knocked off their paths by screens, the Cats’ starting backcourt was freed up for 46 of UK’s 73 points.

4. Louisville’s 3-point shooting:

The Cardinals rely heavily on 3-point shooting, and a lack-thereof played a big a role in their loss in December. Louisville shot 6-of-26 from 3-point land, headlined by senior guard Luke Hancock’s 2-of-8 performance. Hancock is currently the Cardinals’ leading scorer in the NCAA Tournament, hitting 3-pointers in key positions to lift Louisville over Manhattan University and Saint Louis University.

5. Misplaced from Rupp Arena:

Both schools are within a three-hour drive of Indianapolis, and a large number of fans from each school are expected to fill Lucas Oil Stadium. With a more equal attendance of blue and red compared to Dec. 28, UK will not have any home court advantage.