NCAA release may be discouraging in Kanter case

The NCAA released a statement that had nothing to do with Enes Kanter, at least on the surface. The contents addressed the Ohio State football ruling, and more pertinent to Kanter, the Cam Newton ruling.

The passage that may apply toward Kanter, who was never explicitly named or referenced in the release:

“… Current NCAA rules would be violated and students declared ineligible should a parent or third party receive benefits or money, regardless of the student’s knowledge.

Put simply, had Cam Newton’s father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge.”

Of course, Kanter DID receive money. That much has long been established, and those facts are not under dispute. And the common knowledge seems to be that the new information UK recently submitted was regarding the Cam Newton case and whether it could make a difference. Here’s what ESPN’s Eamonn Brennan had to say:

“Why does this matter for Kentucky and Enes Kanter? Because Kentucky’s current case for Kanter’s eligibility is based on the idea that Kanter is just like Newton: His parents may have been organizing and/or receiving benefits for their son’s talent, but the son didn’t know about it, and that makes it OK. That’s the “new information” Kentucky presented to the NCAA to land a second hearing and a second chance at getting its all-important Turkish big man eligible.

With the quoted portion above, the NCAA seems to have squashed that notion, albeit indirectly. Kentucky, the Kanters and the NCAA have all agreed to the basic fact that Kanter did receive about $30,000 for his time with a club team in Turkey. Whether he knew about that monetary exchange or not doesn’t seem to matter. All that matters, apparently, is whether money was exchanged at all.

In other words, Kanter’s eligibility case isn’t looking good. We’ll have to wait until the NCAA finishes its hearing and releases its decision, of course, but the Cam Newton Loophole, in so far as it exists, no longer seems to apply.”

Find the full release here.