Letter to the editor: New basketball lottery format disregards seniority

I am a graduate student at the University of Kentucky.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I am an avid UK fan and supporter. With that said, I hate this new lottery format. I sat through what was arguably three of the worst seasons in UK basketball history from freshman to junior year, and I was always able to get tickets because not many people wanted to go and watch those teams. I did because I am a loyal fan. Now that the team is good again suddenly everyone wants to watch them play, and understandably so.

However, measures need to be put in place to allow the higher level students — those of us who have seniority at this university — at the top of the list for eligibility to gain tickets to these games. I completely understood not being able to get tickets everytime last season because there were so many people that wanted tickets.

Yet, I was still allowed to show up at the lottery with the chance of getting tickets. This season I have been shut out of both lotteries. I have been a loyal UK fan (of all sports) during my time here and will continue to be. This university needs to put into place some form of system to reward those students who have faithfully moved up in the academic ranks as well as those who faithfully attend the games.

Michael Frick

Secondary Education graduate student