Trevathan could test NFL draft waters

UK linebacker Danny Trevathan tackles Vanderbilt running back Warren Norman during the first half of the football game against Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009. The Wildcats beat the Commodores 24-13. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

A day after UK’s do-everything junior Randall Cobb announced he could explore the NFL draft process, UK junior linebacker Danny Trevathan, who leads the Southeastern Conference in tackles, said after Wednesday’s practice that he might follow suit.

“I’ll probably end up checking it out, if I finish the season strong,” Trevathan said.

The Leesburg, Fla., native has been the Cats’ defensive standout this season and he said the thought of taking his game to the next level has “been in the back of his mind.”

“I’d be curious about it,” Trevathan added. “A lot of people are telling me this and that, but I’m trying not to listen.”

After the season, Trevathan said he’ll weigh his options and probably seek advice from former Cats linebacker Wesley Woodyard, now with Denver Broncos, about the specifics of the draft process.

For now, Trevathan said he is solely focused on getting his team bowl eligible this weekend against Vanderbilt and ending the losing streak to the Tennessee Volunteers on Nov. 27.

“I can’t really decide right now. So many other things, we’ve got to take care of first that my mind is into that,” Trevathan said. “If I think about myself right now, that’d be stingy of me and I wouldn’t want anybody else on the rest of the team to do that.

“Nothing is really holding me back (from playing in the NFL), I just want to know where I’m at.”

Cobb NFL draft update

The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Tuesday that Cobb plans on checking out his NFL draft options.

Cobb is a valuable asset to the Cats because of his multi-dimensional ability, but his development as a receiver this season (63 catches, 783 yards and seven touchdowns) has boosted his draft stock.

UK head coach Joker Phillips said he wouldn’t stand in Cobb’s way of going pro, even though it would mean losing the best-returning threat on offense.

“That’s his decision, he and his family’s decision, I’d never try and stand in the way if he thinks that’s what’s best,” Phillips said.