Art exhibit showcases UK graduate students

By Shelby Schott

Seven UK art graduate students will have their work featured at a local art gallery this week.

“Sight Specific” is an exhibition featuring works where the students chose a theme to work with and later developed as a body of work based on that theme, according to a UK news release.

The display began Monday at the Land of Tomorrow art gallery and goes through Friday. It is part of the Master of Fine Arts Studio group, according to the news release.

Professor Joel Feldman teaches the Advanced Studio Project and said the second annual “Sight Specific” features work created with quality, effort and time.

“The idea of the course essentially is for students to explore an idea that may relate or may not relate to their work,” Feldman said. “They’ve all done an excellent job.”

The display is an ongoing series of spring exhibits done by these UK students, Feldman said.

“The purpose is to get the students out of their comfort zone, to explore new things in ways they haven’t previously considered,” Feldman said.

Benjamin Withers, chairman of the UK Art Department, said he enjoyed seeing the students work together and collaborate. Withers said the program raised the bar for the program.

UK hired Withers in 2004, and he has experience with exhibits such as these.

“These shows are standard in better art programs,” Withers said. “The fact that we’re able to do this is a sign of commitment.”

Participants of the exhibit are Waylon Bigsby, Mallory Dover, Natasha Giles, Sarah Hahn, Nathan Hatch, Perry Hooks and Melissa Van Sandt.

The exhibit will be held at LOT, located at 527 E. Third St., through Friday, and the gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The closing ceremony will be Friday at 7 p.m. The show is free and open to the public.