Media reports indicate shaky future for basketball roster

UK’s Daniel Orton looks to make a play against Cornell at the Carrier Dome on Thursday, March 25, 2010. Photo by Britney McIntosh

Several media outlets reported from the McDonald’s All-American game in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday that a mass exodous could be occuring from the UK basketball program.

According to reports, UK head coach John Calipari told freshman center DeMarcus Cousins that only four players from this year’s team will be returning next year. Cousins is expected to enter the NBA Draft along with fellow freshman phenom John Wall, and junior forward Patrick Patterson is widely expected to do the same. Seniors Mark Krebs, Perry Stevenson and Ramon Harris will graduate. Reports from Columbus indicated that sophomore guard Darnell Dodson will also declare for the NBA Draft.

Conflicting reports surrouded freshman big man Daniel Orton. Orton’s father, Larry, told reporters earlier in the day that his son would test the NBA Draft waters without hiring an agent, but a UK Athletics statement released late Wednesday indicated Orton had not made a decision yet.

“I have not declared for the NBA Draft,” Orton said in the statement. “I’m currently weighing my options and will make a decision prior to the deadline.”

If all those players leave, the Cats would return only Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins, Jon Hood and Josh Harrellson for next season.

Phone calls to Larry Orton and Tywanna Patterson on Wednesday night were not immediately returned. UK Athletics spokesman DeWayne Peevey declined to comment on the situations of any of the other players in a text message to the Kernel.