Paxton’s appeal denied, pitcher weighing options

Senior pitcher James Paxton’s appeal to the Kentucky Court of Appeals was denied on Friday, the same day as the UK baseball team opened its season with a 15-6 romp over Virginia Tech in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Paxton has been involved in a legal battle with the university since filing suit against UK on Dec. 2. On Jan. 15, a Fayette County Circuit Court judge denied his motion for a temporary injunction that would have allowed Paxton to play for UK this season without submitting to an NCAA interview.

Paxton appealed the decision to the Kentucky Court of Appeals on Jan. 27. It is believed NCAA investigators want to talk to Paxton about his relationship with MLB agent Scott Boras, who represented Paxton in contract negotiations with the Toronto Blue Jays, according to a Canadian newspaper article. That would be a violation of NCAA rules.

“Given that this case was one of first impression and of national importance, and given that it directly addressed whether or not student-athletes are entitled to the same civil rights as everyone else, it is very disappointing that the court of appeals did not even address our constitutional arguments,” said Richard G. Johnson, one of Paxton’s attorneys, in an e-mail to the Kernel on Friday.

Johnson said Paxton and his legal team would decide by Monday if he wants to appeal the case to the Kentucky Supreme Court.