New York Daily News reports Calipari a candidate for Nets job

UK men’s basketball head coach John Calipari answers questions at a press conference after the game against Clarion at Rupp Arena on Friday, Nov. 6, 2009. Calipari’s Cats defeated Clarion 117-52. Photo by Scott Hannigan

Apparently, now it’s John Calipari’s turn.

After rumors swirled Thursday that Louisville head coach Rick Pitino was interested in the head coaching position of the NBA’s New Jersey Nets, now the New York Daily News is reporting the Nets have interest in UK head coach John Calipari.

The story says that Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is the Nets’ top candidate but Calipari is on the team’s radar.

Calipari coached the Nets for about two-and-a-half seasons after leaving the University of Massachusetts in 1996. Calipari compiled a 72-112 record at the Nets, and led them to a second-place finish in the Atlantic Division and the playoffs in 1998.

The Daily News story lists Calipari as a candidate on the Nets’ radar partly because he is currently coaching freshman guard John Wall, the likely No. 1 pick in this summer’s NBA Draft. Because the Nets currently own the worst record in the league at 4-48, they have a 25 percent chance of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.