Student affairs prospects to interact with campus

The search for a new vice president for Student Affairs has narrowed.

On Thursday, Provost Kumble Subbaswamy sent an e-mail informing campus that four candidates have been selected to come to campus for the chance to interact with the UK community.

Before the selection is made, students will have the opportunity to get to know the hopeful individuals in a series of open forums on campus. Each forum will host one candidate over the course of the next three weeks. The provost did not say when the final decision would be made.

Since Pat Terrell resigned from the position in 2008, Victor Hazard, dean of students, has been serving as interim vice president for Student Affairs. The job involves overseeing departments such as Dining Services, the Counseling and Testing Center, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs and Residence Life.

After considering more than 60 applicants, Jim Wims, co-chair of the search committee, said in an e-mail he was pleased to be moving on to the next phase of the search.

“The next step in the process is extremely important in that it provides an opportunity for these four candidates to be exposed to a much broader cross section of campus constituents,” Wims said.

The first forum is scheduled for Jan. 28 with David Parrott, who currently serves as executive associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of Student Life at Texas A&M University.

The other candidates include Theresa Powell, vice president for Student Affairs at Temple University; Cornel Morton, vice president for Student Affairs at Cal Poly State University; and Robert Mock Jr., associate vice provost for Student Affairs at the University of Arkansas.