Bledsoe thriving behind Wall

Kentucky guard Eric Bledsoe dribbles through Morehead States defense during the first half of the basketball game at Rupp Arena Friday night. Bledsoe lead the Cats to their 75-59 victory over the Eagles.
 Photo by Zach Brake

Kentucky guard Eric Bledsoe dribbles through Morehead State’s defense during the first half of the basketball game at Rupp Arena Friday night. Bledsoe lead the Cats to their 75-59 victory over the Eagles. Photo by Zach Brake

John Wall is getting all the attention.

The freshman point guard from Raleigh, N.C., is averaging 17.3 points per game, has graced the cover of Sports Illustrated and Sporting News, and in the eyes of many analysts is the leader to win the National Player of the Year award. His fellow backcourt teammate Eric Bledsoe is just fine with it.

“John, he deserves (the attention),” Bledsoe said. “He doesn’t do nothing but try to help us win.”

With Wall being the focal point on defense for opponents, Bledsoe has been able to have more freedom on the basketball court.  Bledsoe said the amount of attention other teams give to Wall is motivating for him.

“Everybody on my team knows what I can do,” Bledsoe said. “They tell me to take my man because everybody is trying to see what John does.”

What Bledsoe has done is show up on the road in some of the Cats’ most fierce environments. After Tuesday night’s game in Gainesville, Fla., Gators head coach Billy Donovan said Bledsoe was faster than Wall and shot the ball better. Whether it’s true or not may be up for debate, but in UK’s only two true road games, Bledsoe is averaging 24 points per game while shooting a combined 18-of-23 from the field.

While the fans aren’t as friendly to Bledsoe and the Cats on the road and the arenas aren’t as familiar, the smallest player on the team loves it just the same.

“Yeah I like playing on the road a lot because the fans go crazy when the No. 2 team in the country comes into their gym, and everyone wonders what John (Wall) is going to do,” Bledsoe said. “Then that is when everyone else on the team steps up.”

On Saturday afternoon, the Cats will hit the road again, this time down to Auburn, Ala. For Bledsoe, a Birmingham, Ala., native, it’s an opportunity to head back home and play the team that never offered him a scholarship.

“I like to see kids emotional,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “And (Bledsoe’s) one of those ones that will say something and then back it up. I mean, he’s just a little different sole that young man.”