Down for the count: Boxing event canceled

Undecided junior and Sigma Chi Matt Garnick practices for the postponed Fight Night event at Alumni Gym on Monday, Nov. 9, 2009. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

The fight is over.

After months of struggling to become sanctioned and a three-month postponement, Fight Night has been canceled, said George Kington, president of Sigma Chi fraternity.

Originally scheduled to be held last November, the event was postponed due to safety concerns. New rules were set in place, including required training with USA Boxing approved gyms and trainers.

Sigma Chi partners with Alpha Delta Pi sorority to put on the annual amateur boxing event that grew in popularity its first two years. But Kington said the pullout of USA Boxing, the entity that usually sanctions Fight Night, doomed the two-night boxing tournament.

“I think it was a whole bunch of political drama,” Kington said.

After USA Boxing pulled out, event coordinators turned to the Kentucky Wrestling and Boxing Association for sanctioning. But that association meets only twice a year and currently cannot sanction amateur events, Kington said.

That could change, as the association is writing new regulations that would allow it to sanction amateur fights, including next semester’s Fight Night in November, Kington said.

This year’s event was scheduled to take place downtown at the Lexington Center, an upgrade in space from the previous two years in anticipation of larger crowds.

Despite the cancellation, Kington said he does not expect the popularity of Fight Night to subside.

“I hope it doesn’t hurt the popularity,” he said. “I hope it will be a bigger event next year. With a year off and a change in location, it should help the popularity.”

The cancellation also affects the charities that benefited from the proceeds Fight Night raised. Last year’s event raised $14,000 from ticket sales alone, with nearly 2,000 people attending each night. Last year’s proceeds were donated to the Ronald McDonald House and the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

“It really stinks, we’re really disappointed we can’t donate all that money to our charities with ADPi,” Kington said. “It’s a shame a little piece of paper ruined all this.”