Society must find true meaning of Christmas

Column by Matthew Fox

As finals week quickly approaches, and soon after a month off of school, I found it pertinent to write about the upcoming holiday and what I feel it is truly about.  When I was a kid and Christmas time rolled around, it was mostly about what presents I was going to get and less about what my parents had tried to instill in me about the holiday.

But as I got older and more mature, it kind of hit me all at once what Christmas was really about: a time of peace and goodwill, being a Christian and a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

But most of all, a time to spend with the ones you love regardless of whether you’re going to get anything material out of it.

I feel like during Christmas, our society becomes nothing more than a materialistic child. A child that wants and wants, but never wants to give anything back. I’ve often discussed this with friends, both Christians and non-Christians, and it is a general agreement that we regret how commercialized this holiday has become.

It feels like most people (I say most because I know not all) buy presents only because they feel like they have to, or they think they’re getting something in return.

Our media culture does nothing to help; rather it perpetuates the materialism that is already running rampant in our society.

They make it seem that unless we have the newest gadget, or are wearing what’s “in,” then we are going to be looked down upon by our peers.

But by volunteering with the homeless or doing some other charity work during the holidays, we are somehow not as cool.

I know that many people, some of my own family included, dread Christmas every year for the simple fact that they know they are going to have to buy a ton of presents. It shouldn’t be like that. No one should dread a time to be with family and spend time with the ones you love.

My family was not, and still isn’t, rich by any means, but for Christmas I always got what I asked from “Santa.”  My parents always made sure I knew not everyone was as fortunate as I.

I told that small anecdote to point out that if our society would start seeing people as being different, and stop being trapped in their own worlds, then I think we would be more willing to help those in need.

At this time of year more than any other, we need to open our eyes and extend a helping hand to those in need. As a Christian, what better way to celebrate the birth of our Savior than to do good works in His name and to show love to everyone?

I think if we could all get past this notion of what Christmas isn’t, and get back to the true meaning of the holiday, we would be much better off as a society.

I end, and fittingly so, with a verse from the Bible about love. I Corinthians 13:13 states, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”