Hitching a ride home: University offers shuttle for students

To get home in time for the holiday break and have a place for students’ vehicles when they return, UK Parking and Transportation Services is making the journey a little easier.

Home for the Holidays shuttle

From Dec. 15 to 18, PTS is offering a free shuttle available to students that will run from campus to Blue Grass Airport on Terminal Drive off Versailles Road. Daily pick-up times are scheduled every two hours from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Chrissie Balding Tune, PTS spokeswoman, said students should plan to leave campus two hours before their scheduled flight.

Balding Tune said 21 students used the shuttle last Winter Break, and said by using the shuttle, students do not have to worry about paying for airport parking.

“It’s just one less thing to deal with over the break,” Balding Tune said.

Students who want to schedule a pick-up should e-mail PTS with their name, campus address and phone number, and the date and time of the pick-up. The shuttle is not offered before classes resume in January.

Spring permits available Monday

Incoming students, transfer students or those who have yet to buy a permit can purchase either K-Lot or evening permits beginning Monday. K-Lot permits are $116 and evening permits are $56, Tune said. Students must apply online through the Parking Account Manager.

Certain lots will not be patrolled from Dec. 19 through Jan. 10. The K-Lot at Commonwealth Stadium will not be patrolled until Jan. 20 to give new permit-holders time to adjust, Balding Tune said.

A parking lottery is available for students who are eligible for residential or commuter lot permits. PTS will survey residential and commuter lots to determine how they are utilized, and will draw lottery winners depending on how many spaces are available, Balding Tune said.