Freshmen get hands-on for Discovery Seminar final

Community leadership development sophomore Sarah Runyon enters a raffle for a free iPod at the grand opening of the Apple Store located inside the University Bookstore on Wednesday, December 9th 2009. Photo by Jon Reynolds

By Jenny Boylan

The Student Center Ballroom transformed into a studio for first-year students to present their discoveries throughout the semester.

Carrying on a 13-year-old UK tradition, students of the Discovery Seminar Program presented what they learned throughout the semester through posters, PowerPoints, skits and other creative options.

The DSP program aims to give freshmen and transfer students the opportunity to engage in seminar-sized classes, according to the Chellgren Center Web site. The classes range in topics of different cultural focuses, world issues and research opportunities.

Jessica Crutcher, a secondary education freshman, took the American Sign Language section of the DSP course. She signed the song “By Your Side” by Tenth Avenue North, to demonstrate what she learned.

“The class is a lot of fun,” Crutcher said. “I’ve learned a lot about the deaf culture, and as a class we got to go to Fayette Mall to a deaf seminar and interact with deaf people.”

Joanna Badagliacco, director of the DSP, said the program reaches about 10 to 12 percent of incoming freshmen, and she would like to see it expanded to upper level classes. Badagliacco said each year the presentations become more diverse.

“I am thrilled with how wonderful the posters turned out,” Badagliacco said. “They show great creativity and intellectuality.”

While some students choose a section based on their personal interests, others have other reasons.

Psychology freshman Katie Fretts and economics freshman Tiffany Norton decided learning something new to them would be more interesting.

Fretts and Norton joined the DSP section called “Community and Competition: A Look into Shaker History.”

The two created a Shaker board game as part of their project and said the smaller class size contributed to their appreciation of the material and helped them remain focused.

“It’s something to do rather than just sit and listen all day,” Fretts said.