Citing CentrePointe, Gray runs for mayor

UK students make up approximately 27,000 of the residents in Lexington, and Vice Mayor Jim Gray, who announced he would run for mayor Tuesday, views the UK community as “mega-important.”

Gray said he came to the decision to enter the race because it was the right time, and said his years of experience with the city make him qualified.

“UK is a big part of Lexington, it really, in many respects, designs Lexington to itself and to the outside world,” Gray said. “So working with the university to leverage the university and all the resources … the students and the faculty, staff, all the talent there — it represents enormous potential.”

Gray said it is important for members of the community work together to solve problems like the student housing issue.

“What I’ve learned over time is that issues like (housing) have to be worked continuously, it’s not like you can turn it on and turn it off. We really have to stay with working the problem and whatever it might be,” he said. “Only through working through problems do we really create opportunities and possibility.”

Gray will be running against current Mayor Jim Newberry and former Mayor Teresa Isaac.

Gray said he had not spoken to Newberry about his decision on Tuesday. One of the reasons he decided to run against Newberry was because of his disagreement with the CentrePointe project.

Gray said the project came at the wrong time and was too extravagant and excessive.

“I’ve always had a real passion for the potential of Lexington’s economy and its downtown and its connection to the university, and so this project represents the center of our city,” he said. “So symbolically it’s enormously important not just for today, but arguably the next 100 years or 200 years.

“Being an empty hole in the city is symbolic of the last three years.”

Gray said the project was symbolic of the mayor’s job and the city should take a different path to the future.

“I’m not timid about believing that I can do better, and that I can make a difference,” Gray said.