H1N1 virus spreading to inboxes

As the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus spreads, so does its publicity.

Intranasal vaccination clinics are being offered more frequently for non-target groups as vaccines become available. The University Health Service has offered three walk-in clinics since early November.

However, while H1N1 information and vaccinations are becoming readily available, scams relating to the virus and its vaccine are circulating.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted a warning on their Web site Dec. 1, cautioning the public of fraudulent e-mails, specifically one that requests users must create a personal “H1N1 Vaccination Profile” on the CDC Web site.

According to the warning, the false e-mail references the launching of a state vaccination program.  The e-mail says a profile has to be created for those who have reached 18 years of age and for those who have and have not received the vaccination.

Kevin Hall, Lexington-Fayette County Health Department spokesman, said the CDC alerted the state to make sure correct information was getting to the public.

“Unfortunately, when more attention is placed on an issue, people out there … take advantage of the people who are affected by the problem,” Hall said.

Chris Nelson, UK Healthcare Enterprise medical director for infection prevention and control, said he did not know of the phishing incidents.

“(Students) should check with the UK H1N1 site for the latest and be wary of anything that comes to them via e-mail that is not from on-campus or from UK Healthcare,” Nelson said.

Students should always be cautious when receiving an e-mail asking them to give personal information, said Therese Smith, UK Office of Emergency Management specialist. Smith said to the OEM’s knowledge, no one at UK has been affected by the scam.

“We did send information about the scam to our Pandemic Influenza Working Group so they could be aware and assist in spreading correct information,” Smith said.

The vaccination profile scam references the CDC.gov Web site, stating the personal profiles are to be posted there.

“The problem with a scam like this (is) it looks official, it’s got a CDC logo on it,” Hall said.

“Unsuspecting people think it looks legit … so don’t be afraid to ask questions.”

Smith urged students to delete any suspicious e-mails and to report the phishing immediately to the OEM or the LFCHD.