Caring for the young: Student starts club to help kids, puppies

When elementary education sophomore Logan Bright transferred to UK from Wittenberg University in Springfield, Ohio, she brought an idea with her.

While attending Wittenberg, Bright saw something she liked — 4 Paws For Ability, an organization that allows off-campus students to take in a puppy while helping children in need. Now, Bright is trying to start the program at UK.

The organization, based out of Xenia, Ohio, works with families or students to train and place service dogs where they are needed, according to the organization’s Web site.

Bright said as of now, she and another girl are the only people who have committed to the project, and at least five people are needed to form an organization at UK.

Bright said she wanted to get involved with the program because she is compassionate about community service.

“It’s kind of a way to show people that community service is more than just work,” she said. “It can be fun as well.”

Bright said all expenses, including dog food, toys and shots would be paid for by the 4 Paws For Ability organization and over breaks she would be taking the dogs to stay at the headquarters in Xenia.

Karen Shirk, executive director of the organization, said the headquarters usually gives volunteers enough supplies for about three months. After the first three months, the volunteers will have to bring the dog back, show how the dog is doing and then they will get more supplies.

Shirk said the dogs receive toys, food, a crate, medicine and necessities.

Dogs that students would be getting would be between five and six months old and potty-trained and know basic commands, Bright said.

Shirk said the purpose of having foster parents serving as trainers for the puppies is to get the dogs used to being around people.

“They’re responsible to take the puppies out to stores and live with the puppy … so that the puppy will be used to being in public,” Shirk said. “If a puppy is not socialized when they’re young, if they’re not taken into stores and classrooms and around large groups of people … then when they’re an adult … they’re going to be uncomfortable.”

Shirk said those interested in fostering a puppy would go through an application process. She said a trainer responsible for the program would then go over the application, meet with the applicant and determine whether or not he or she is capable of handling a puppy and has enough time for the puppy.

“As long as she (the trainer) feels that they’re a good candidate, then they can become a provider,” Shirk said.

Applications for UK’s startup program are due to Bright Friday, Dec. 11. To learn more about how to get involved with UK’s organization, e-mail her at [email protected].