Drinking for a cause: Happy hour to raise money for cancer research

For one UK student, a simple hobby has turned into a fundraiser.

Economics junior Tucker McNulty got in the habit of running two or three miles a day and decided he wanted to complete a marathon. Then one day, he received a packet from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and decided to run a marathon to raise money.

The program, called Team in Training, requires participants to get sponsors to donate money towards miles run, and all money raised goes toward the cancer research organization.

“Leukemia and lymphoma affect a lot of people and I just wanted to start running and help people as much as I could,” McNulty said.

McNulty said he individually has to raise $3,800 through the program with the organization,  but wanted to do something bigger.

That is when his friend, Jon Brown, helped him out.

Brown, a mining engineering senior, said McNulty came to him at the beginning of the semester because McNulty knew Brown did philanthropy work.

The idea hit home for Brown because he has family members who have been diagnosed with different types of cancer.

Brown, who had heard of the Kentucky non-profit organization Happy Hour for Humanity, contacted founder Rock Daniels to begin organizing an event to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The society is the largest voluntary health organization in the world that funds cancer research, education and patient services, according to its Web site.

“It’s just a good cause, and as much as they go through we can try to help as much as we can,” Brown said.

The fundraiser will take place Friday night at the Paddock and Tin Roof. Tickets can be bought from Brown or McNulty for $5 or on Friday night people can pay $7 at each door. McNulty can be reached by e-mail at [email protected].

Shuttle busses for the event will run from

Columbia Avenue across from the library from 10 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.