At-home beauty treatments

By Emily Dowds

By Emily Dowds

Is it really worth spending $30 on various lotions, face washes and moisturizers?

Most students are on a budget and cannot spend large sums of money on bath products. Fortunately, most of these products can be created at home in just minutes. Several of the ingredients may already be right in your very own refrigerator and by making these products at home you are saving money, the environment and your skin.

Many at home beauty treatments call for fruit. Different fruits contain various vitamins and minerals essential to one’s health and the appearance of one’s skin and hair. But remember, if you wouldn’t eat it, don’t use it on your skin. Use only high-quality, fresh ingredients for the best results. One at-home treatment is the “pineapple olive oil face mask.”  Pineapple contains bromeliad, which helps rid the skin of dead cells and dirt.  It is also a mild astringent and has inflammatory properties.  The olive oil is an excellent source of vitamin E and helps to restore the skin’s surface.

Pineapple Olive Oil Face Mask:

½ cup fresh, chopped pineapple

3 tbsp. olive oil

Combine  the  ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Apply to the face using your fingertips and leave it on for 15 minutes.  Rinse your face with warm water and pat until dry.

This next recipe is like pouring a smoothie on your skin.  It is appropriately named the “fruit salad body mask” and calls for pineapple, honeydew, green grapes, bananas and kiwi.  Honeydew melon will leave your skin soothed and hydrated while the grapes are antioxidants that protect the skin from harmful UV rays.  Bananas are rich in calcium and other nutrients, which leaves the skin silky and soft.  Kiwi is high in Vitamin C and has enzymatic properties.  All of these ingredients create a sumptuous body mask as well as a delicious snack.

Fruit Salad Body Mask:

1 medium kiwi fruit- peeled

2 slices pineapple-rind removed

½ of a medium honeydew melon- rind

removed

1 doz. Green grapes

1 medium banana-peeled

Puree all ingredients in a food processor. The mixture will be slightly lumpy. Refrigerate for 1 hour.  Smooth the mixture onto your body and/or face and leave it on for 30 minutes.  This is an ideal treatment for lounging poolside.  Rinse off with warm water.

At-home beauty treatments are not just meant for the skin.  By combining honey, olive oil and rosemary you get a fabulous hair conditioner that will leave your hair smooth and shiny.  The honey adds the shine while the olive oil provides moisture.  The rosemary will also help stimulate hair growth.

Rosemary Honey Olive Oil Hair Conditioner

½ cup honey

¼ cup warmed olive oil (2 tbsp. for oily

hair)

4 drops essential oil of rosemary

1 tsp. xanthan gum (available in health

food stores)

Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Then pour mixture into a clean plastic bottle with a snug-fitting cap.  Apply a small amount to slightly dampened hair.  Massage the mixture into the scalp and distribute evenly throughout the hair.  Cover the hair with a warm towel or shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes.  Then remove the towel, shampoo lightly and rinse with cool water.  Dry as normal and enjoy softer and healthier hair.

At-home beauty treatments are not just for women. Peppermint aftershave is a simple product designed specifically for men.  Prepare two bags of peppermint tea and let steep until cool.  Put the tea in a spray bottle and you have aftershave.

At home beauty treatments are cheap, useful and natural products designed to save money and your skin. So head to the refridgerator and get cooking.