900 doses of H1N1 vaccine to be available Friday

University Health Services received 900 doses of the intranasal form of the H1N1 vaccine from the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department, according to a UK news release Wednesday.

The vaccine will be available to members of the UK community who are 18 years and above, or with a UK student ID, during a free walk-in clinic. The clinic will be from 8 a.m. to noon Friday on the first floor of the UHS building, located at 830 S. Limestone.

The vaccine will only be given to those who can receive the nasal mist form, which are generally those who are under 49 years of age and in good health.

People who cannot receive the nasal mist form are: those who are over the age of 49, those who are pregnant or a nursing mother, those with asthma, those with a history of Guillain-Barre syndrome after having a flu vaccine, those with hypersensitivity or allergic reaction to egg proteins, gentamicin, gelatin or arginine, those who have had life-threatening reactions to previous flu vaccines, those who are immunocompromised or who work with immunocompromised patients, those who have been on steroids in the past six weeks, those who have been on an antiviral in the last 48 hours, those who have had a live vaccine in the last 28 days and those who have chronic medical conditions predisposing to influenza complications.

-Katie Perkowski