Forget the toothbrush: military gum fights plaque

By Landon Antonetti

UK researchers have come up with a solution for those who have a habit of forgetting to brush their teeth — if they are in the armed forces.

With the help of a chewing machine designed to mimic the pressure and pace of a human bite and simulate saliva, UK researchers have developed a gum that eliminates the need for soldiers to carry a toothbrush and toothpaste.

The gum will reduce plaque on the teeth when normal oral hygiene is not possible. The gum holds its flavor for up to an hour.

Since the chief developer of the gum, Patrick DeLuca, was elected president of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, Abeer Al-Ghananeem, assistant professor of pharmaceutical sciences at UK, has been appointed principal investigator of the project.

“Flavor is the easy part,” Al-Ghananeem said. “We want to make sure it’s effective.”

The project known as “the military gum project” has been in the works since 2005 and is now ready for the phase one clinical trial, according to a College of Pharmacy news release.

The gum acts as an alternative to brushing and flossing for soldiers who do not always have time to pay attention to their oral hygiene. It also combats a condition known as “trench mouth,” which is a serious form of gingivitis that can cause infected, bleeding gums and ulcers, according to the Mayo Clinic Web site.

The researchers chose to use gum for several reasons: it is distributed in army rationings already, is easy to store and ship and has a long shelf life.

The data from the trials will determine whether the gum will be available over-the-counter or by prescription.

Al-Ghananeem said the army is searching for companies to manufacture the materials for testing and eventually to distribute them, and the phase one trial will be completed in about two years.