Students bring about new tradition before home football games

By Erin Shea

Most students don’t know all the words to “My Old Kentucky Home” and the UK fight song. But now any student can learn them in a fun enviornment at the student led pep rallies in the W.T. Young Library on Friday nights before home football games.

A new tradition has been started this semseter that was conceieved by the Student Athletic Council (SAC) board of directors to teach new students the words to the cheers, the UK fight song and “My Old Kentucky Home.”

These pep rallies, named “10:10” because 10:10 p.m. is when they take place, are led by the Wildcat Marching Band, UK Cheerleading Squad, the UK Dance Team and the SAC.

“For freshman, knowing the songs gives them a sense of unity in the student section,” said Amber McGehee, President of the SAC and integrated strategic communications senior.

There is no specific order of cheers that are done and song sheets are passed out so everyone knows the correct words, however, the pep rally always ends with everyone linking arms and singing “My Old Kentucky Home” McGehee said.

This all started when the SAC brought together a board of members to brainstorm ways to get the student section more involved at sporting events.

Two members of the marching band, junior Tyler Swick and senior Taylor Brandenburg, pitched the idea of having a pep rally led by the marching band and cheer squads to help get students pumped up and to teach them the words, so everyone can get involved at the games.

The SAC thought it was a great idea and thus “10:10” was first organized and held the night before the Florida game this year.

Friday nights at 10:10 p.m. were chosen because it was easy to remember and spread to other students by word of mouth, and other schools have had success with holding pep rallies the night before big games. McGehee said that finding out about the pep rallies is usually just through word of mouth and from the SAC. Students can also become fans of the SAC on Facebook to get updates about events.

“As it progresses on [to becoming more well known] having more than a small group of students actually know the fight song will help a lot with school spirit” McGehee said.

There is no plan for continuing this tradition at basketball season, because of the greater amount of games, but McGehee said the SAC is working on creating another idea to stimulate energy and school spirit in the eRUPPtion Zone for basketball games.

The next “10:10” pep rally will be taking place this Friday outside the W.T. Young Library to get students ready for the football game versus Eastern Kentucky University on Saturday, all students are encouraged to come out and show their wildcat pride.