Speaker advocates laughter as a tool

By Emilie Rymer

In the chaotic world of public relations, use humor.

Valerie Di Maria, the keynote speaker at the 2009 James C. Bowling Executive-in-Residence Lecture, said using humor is an effective way to get a message across and is a strategic differentiator.

“(Humor) stimulates endorphins,” said Di Maria, director of client strategy and growth at Peppercom, a strategic communications firm.  “It is based on truth and honesty, and storytelling and humor are good, memorable ways to communicate.”

On Thursday at the W.T. Young Library auditorium, Di Maria gave the presentation, “Turmoil ‘R’ Us,” which discussed how good strategy can transform corporate turmoil into opportunity.

The Bowling Lecture is a part of a three-part program, which includes a professional residence speaker, a $1,500 scholarship for a UK integrated strategic communications major and an Excellence in Public Relations award also given to a UK student.

“We try to find someone totally different from the past years,” said Beth Barnes, director of the School of Journalism and Telecommunications. “This is because this lecture is some students’ second or third time coming to a Bowling Lecture.”

Barnes said they wanted a speaker with international experience and someone who is involved with social media.

Di Maria said for a public relations firm, turmoil such as bailouts, global warming and H1N1, equals opportunity. Public relations and communication experts are the leaders during chaos, Di Maria said.

“We understand all audiences, we are the eyes and ears of the organization,” she said. “We interact with all aspects of the company and we are comfortable with change and new media and we are great with execution.”

Di Maria said news is everywhere, and the public is connected to constant, consistent and transparent communication.

“What happens in Vegas does not really stay in Vegas,” Di Maria said. “There is no such thing as a closed meeting anymore. Information is everywhere.”