Giesler steps up for Cats

The UK volleyball team plays Ole Miss and Arkansas. Photo by Scott Hannigan

By T.J. Walker

Late in the season, in the middle of a heated Southeastern Conference championship race, sophomore middle blocker Gretchen Giesler is writing a success story for the Cats.

Giesler saw limited action her freshman season and sat on the sideline as she watched UK fall just short of its goal of a Southeastern Conference title. This season Giesler finds herself starting, and with her work ethic she’s hoping to flip last season’s script.

“She’s doing a great job blocking, she leads the team, to be a sophomore and do that is awesome,” senior libero BriAnne Sauer said. “She’s always working hard, she’s always giving 110 percent so you never have to question that and she loves the game.”

Giesler has already caught the eye of the SEC. She was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week earlier this year. She is second in the SEC in hitting percentage and 38th nationally. She also leads the team in blocks and ranks ninth in the SEC.

This season Giesler broke her career high in blocks in a game, but also has the highest hitting percentage on the team. Giesler has recorded 11 kills in a game twice this season, and has recorded more than five blocks 10 times this season.

“Everybody is a blocker and everyone is a hitter if you’re playing in the front row, being a duel threat is very important,” UK head coach Craig Skinner said. “She is top two in the conference in hitting percentage because she has such a fast arm. People definitely have to honor her as an attacker and if you leave her one on one she is typically going to score.”

The team said Giesler is one of the hardest workers on the team. Skinner said she plays smart, despite being her first year starting.

“Gretchen is a mental giant,” Skinner said. “I don’t care what year she is, she is mentally tough and wants to be on the court in pressure situations.”

Giesler insists that if players think too much on the volleyball court, it can result in mistakes. There are not too many sports where not thinking might be beneficial Volleyball, at least for Giesler, is one of them.

“You just have to clear your mind and react.” Giesler said. “If you over think it your going to mess up, its just intensity.”

Being a middle blocker, Giesler has to be able to stop the opposing hitter. Whether that be blocking the hit, getting a piece of the ball, or forcing the hit astray, every play will get the Cats the point, but Giesler does have a favorite. And for UK to win the SEC, Giesler will need to be doing it all.

“All three of them are good, I always want the stuff-block, it’s awesome and it feels good,” Giesler said. “But if I can get a touch and the defense can pick it up and send it into transition, that’s good, or (opposing defenses) will see the block and hit it out of bounds. As long as I am there and I’m close and have good form, good things will happen.”