Successful music performer shows students the art of playing the fiddle

Mark O’Connor plays “Boild that Cabbage Down” with the students of the UK String Project class in the Band Room of the Fine Arts Building Saturday morning. O’Connor composed a ten book series called “O’Connor Violin Method” to help students become well-rounded musicians. Photo by Zach Brake

By Tilly Finley

UK students who participate in the String Project, a 9-year-old music program for Fayette County school children and others, were not the only ones who taught something Saturday.

Mark O’Connor, a prestigious American violinist and composer who has performed at Carnegie Hall in New York, performed at the program and taught students of all ages how to play an old American fiddle tune while emphasizing the skill of improvisation.

Kristen Kline, a music education graduate student who has worked with the program for about four years, said it meant a lot having O’Connor there.

“He is very passionate about fiddle music which is a very different aspect from classical string,” Kline said. “Most students go straight into classical training so other styles help them broaden abilities, especially improvisation.”

O’Connor, who recently came out with a method for developing instrument skills focused toward younger children, spent part of his visit explaining the method in more detail with hopes of helping the String Project and music program.

“It is important for me to be involved in education as a professional and composer of music,” O’Connor said. “A lot of things in the music profession, including my method, will resonate with the next generation. After waiting five to 20 years to take hold, it will be these young people playing the instruments and thinking about the concepts.”

O’Connor also stressed the importance of American music as part of school curriculum.

“I want to get it out as much as possible because unfortunately it’s not included in most places,” he said.

The String Project takes place at universities nationwide as a way to provide low cost instruction for the violin, viola, cello and bass for children 8-years-old and above, according to the program Web site.

The program began with the help of a $50,000 grant from the American String Teachers Association, said violin professor Dan Mason.

“The program is more or less self-supporting, which is achieved by a balance of low cost for participants and a small stipend for UK student teachers,” Mason said.

The String Project takes place every Saturday morning in room 105 of the Fine Arts Building. Beginner classes are from 9 to 10 a.m., and intermediate and advanced classes are from 10 a.m. to noon. Classes cost about $10 each, according to the program Web site.

The fall program concludes on Nov. 21, when student participants will perform a concert at Memorial Hall to demonstrate acquired skills. The spring session begins Jan.16. Enrollment forms can be downloaded on UK’s School of Music Web site, (http://www.uky.edu/FineArts/Music/uksp/index.php).