Trustees debrief hot topics on and off campus

By Katie Perkowski

The top floor of Patterson Office Tower will be filled with students and board members once again, as some of the most controversial issues in Kentucky will be discussed on Tuesday.

The Board of Trustees will meet to vote on the $7 million donation to fund the “Replace Wildcat Lodge Student Housing” project, which include the initiation of the project and the renaming of the house to “Wildcat Coal Lodge,” according to the meeting’s agenda.

The pledged donation will come from Joe Craft and 21 “Difference Makers.”  The pledge will be paid over a 10-year period.

The Committee on Naming University Buildings, which reviewed the proposed name, found it compliant with university policy and recommended the approval of it, according to the agenda.

The new lodge would house the men’s basketball team along with non-student athletes, according to the agenda.

Board of Trustees Chair Mira Ball said a December 2008 plan proposing $1.5 million in renovations to Wildcat Lodge were put on hold because the university anticipated building a new house.

Student Government President Ryan Smith said there would be a briefing on Sex Week and an update on the Lexington Student Housing Task Force report, as well.

Smith said he would address how the housing report has been going and the role of the university in the proposal.

If the acceptance of the donation and naming of the new Wildcat Lodge is approved the proposal will be submitted to the Council on Postsecondary Education on Nov. 5, then to the Capital Projects and Bond Oversight Committee at its Nov. 17 meeting for final approval, according to the agenda.