Running, painting and comedy for Homecoming

By Taylor Moak

Blue windows all over Lexington. A run “For the Kids.” Dice and casino chips. Homecoming Week 2009, “Viva Lex Vegas,” is here.

Homecoming Week begins Saturday and is full of events, new and similar to last year’s Homecoming, on campus for students to celebrate university traditions.

The Student Activities Board has been working on Homecoming 2009 for almost a year. SAB’s director of traditions Bryce Moffett said he has been working on Homecoming 2009 since December.

“(Students will) feel more involved with campus and with the community of Lexington,” Moffett said.

Thirty-nine student organizations will Paint the Town Blue on Saturday by painting a window on campus or at a local business with a “Viva Lex Vegas” theme. Moffett said the number of student organizations has increased from last year.

For the Banner Competition, student organizations will design publicity banners to hang in the Johnson Center or in the W.T. Young Library.  On Sunday afternoon, DanceBlue will host a 5K walk/run.

Homecoming Week will include a canned food drive, a children’s carnival and a comedy competition.  The Black Student Union will host a haunted house event on Thursday, Oct. 29.

The Homecoming Parade will be Saturday, Oct. 31 before the UK football game against Mississippi State. Thirty-five student organizations, the Wildcat Marching Band, the University Dance Team and President Lee Todd and First Lady  Patsy Todd will make appearances.

The Homecoming King and Queen will be announced at halftime of the game.

Voting for the Homecoming King and Queen will begin at noon on Monday and continue until noon on Friday.

The five king candidates are Shaun Denney, Justin Linne, Calvin Riney, Dwight “D.J.” Lacy and Ben Duncan.  The five queen candidates are Ashley Jackson, Barb Jackson, Katie Wilkerson, Autumn Abraham and Dana Deptola.

Moffett said Homecoming Week is a unique experience every time.

“(Students can) see the spirit of Wildcat country,” Moffett said.  “It’s fun to see what students can accomplish working together.”

Homecoming events

Saturday, Oct. 24 – Friday, Oct. 30

Student organizations will paint a window either on campus or at a local business with a “Viva Lex Vegas” theme.

Paintings will remain up all through Homecoming Week.

Saturday, Oct. 25

Student organizations will make banners out of twin bedsheets to hang in the W.T. Young Library or the Johnson Center.

Sunday, Oct. 25

Race begins at 3 p.m.

Registration will begin near Gate 3 of Commonwealth Stadium at 1:30 p.m.

T-shirt, race number and information will be available at the sign-in tables.

Awards will be given for Top Male and Top Female participant in each age division.