Students, professors feel strain of flu

By Laura Clark

While the temperature continues to drop, flu rates are on the rise.

The 2009 H1N1 Influenza and other influenza-like illnesses are still spreading, forcing a number of students to miss class.  However, students are not the only ones absent.

Communications professor Derek Lane contracted H1N1 Oct. 10, missed his classes during the week and returned to campus the last Friday.

Lane said because of the upswing of flu cases in professors, the university sent out various e-mails regarding the virus.  The communication department in the College of Communications and Information Studies adopted a specific flu policy in their syllabi.  Lane offers to record his class via video webcast for students unable to attend.

“I’ve had four students in one class and two in another who have indicated that they were diagnosed with the virus,” Lane said in an e-mail to the Kernel. “I likely contracted the virus from one of my students.”

The University Health Services saw a slight increase in patients with influenza-like illnesses last week, up from 19.2 percent to 19.96 percent.

Thursday, the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department announced the H1N1 vaccine’s availability to the public by early November.  UK Hospital received 200 intranasal doses, and the Kentucky Children’s Hospital received the nasal and shot forms of the vaccine last week.

Dr. Chris Nelson, associate professor of pediatrics specializing in infection diseases,  said they are expecting more doses this week.

“We’ve been getting a very limited number of doses, but the supply should hopefully improve in November,” Nelson said.

UK Hospital flu counts continue to rise

Dates                      Total patients           Influenza-like illnesses                   Percentage

Oct. 5 – Oct. 10               896                                   172                                              19.2

Oct. 12 – Oct. 16             1077                                  215                                            19.96

Information was provided by Therese Smith, Emergency Management Specialist